Finance Assessment of Competency Test (FACT)
Students planning to take the courses below are required to pass the FACT exam
- FIN 3023 — Intermediate Corporate Finance
- FIN 4713 — Mortgage Banking and Real Estate Finance
- FIN 4723 — Principles of Real Estate Investment
The FACT test must be cleared before the census date (approximately the 10th day) for the spring and fall semesters and before the first class day for the summer semester; otherwise, students will be dropped from the course.
Students who register for FIN 3023, FIN 4713 or Fin 4723 will be given access to FACT information and study materials on Blackboard. If you are planning to take the FACT and have not yet registered for one of these courses, call the Department of Finance at 210-458-6315, to request access to the FACT Blackboard. Students are advised to review the study material and take the sample test presented on Blackboard.
The FACT test is offered by Testing Services. You must register through ASAP at least 24 hours in advance to take the FACT. You may take the test up to three times in a single semester. There is a $15 fee assessed by Testing Services each time you take the exam. Test dates and times are available on the Testing Services site in ASAP. Please arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled test time and bring a valid, photo ID to the test session.
The FACT exam will test students’ knowledge and proficiency in topics covered in FIN 3013 and will specifically focus on
- Time value of money
- Bond and stock valuation (values and returns)
- Capital budgeting (NPV and IRR)
- Financial statements
- Risk and Return
- Weighted Average Cost of Capital
The exam will be
- Administered by the UTSA Testing Services for a $15 fee
- Is multiple-choice format
- Contains 30 questions with calculations and concepts
The following resources are available
- Study material, including a sample test posted on Blackboard and on the Department website
- Formula sheet for FACT Exam
- We also recommend holding on to the FIN 3013 textbook as a resource
For questions or clarification, please check with the Department of Finance.
Main Office: BB 4.01.12
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday | 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.