Learn how to tackle complex problems by learning the theoretical foundations of finance, financial accounting and statistical analysis and how to apply this knowledge to solve real world financial challenges that face investors, financial institutions and corporations. The UTSA Finance program includes systematic, rigorous training in quantitative methods, economics and finance. Through hands-on experience and class projects students also gain important insights and training. Then, take a dive into advanced topics such as portfolio optimization, risk management, capital markets and financial valuation.
Complement your degree by adding a supporting business competency to your major. Increase your marketable skills through competencies in analytics, modeling and risk management.
- Written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Analytical thinking and ability to interpret financial statements
- Interpersonal relations and teamwork
- Technological skills including Microsoft Excel
- Financial analysis and management
- Global mindset and international business
- Strategic planning and thinking
- Chief Financial Officer
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Planner
- Insurance & Risk Management
- Investment Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
Types of Coursework
- Cases and Problems in Finance
- Computer Modeling of Financial Applications
- Intermediate Corporate Finance
- Investment Portfolio Management
- Money and Banking
- Principles of Investment
- Security Analysis
Jobs by Industry
Median Salary For Finance Graduates: $61,100
A True Learning Community
My passion is finance. And UTSA’s finance program is among the best in the country because of the Investment Society. I’m so appreciative that I came to UTSA.
I never would have guessed how much UTSA has helped me with my personal growth. I’m excited for all that I have yet to learn and gain from my remaining year at UTSA.
Accounting and Finance Major
UTSA provided me with the academic foundation to build a rewarding career as an energy infrastructure investment professional. To this day I draw from lessons learned in classes like Security Analysis, Risk Management, Financial Modeling and Intermediate Accounting. The UTSA Investment Society provided the structure to begin exploring the world of finance outside the classroom.
Rafael Velez, BBA ’10
Clean Energy Finance Leader at NextEra Energy Resources
- Forum of Finance
- Investment Society