- Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh
- M.A. Carnegie Mellon University
- B.A. Brandeis University
Professor Suman Basuroy joined the UTSA College of Business in 2014 as professor of marketing and chair of the Department of Marketing. In 2016 he was named the Graham Weston Endowed Professor. Before joining UTSA, he was the Ruby K. Powell Professor of Marketing and Supply Chain at the Price College of Business at the University of Oklahoma. He has also served on the faculty at Florida Atlantic University, the University of Buffalo and Rutgers University. He was also a visiting professor at Universita Luigi Bocconi in Italy and the University of Muenster in Germany.
In 2010 Basuroy (along with co-authors S. Abraham Ravid of Yeshiva University and John Wald of UTSA) was the recipient of the Werner Pommerehne Prize for the best article published in the Journal of Cultural Economics. In 2009 he won the Carol and Bruce Mallen Lifetime Achievement Award for Published Scholarly Contributions to Motion Picture Industry Studies from UCLA’s Anderson School of Management. In 2007 he won the Researcher of the Year Award from the Barry Kaye College of Business. He has served as a senior fellow of the Carl De Santis Center for the Motion Picture Studies since 2007.
His key research interests include marketing of cultural products (motion pictures, video games and fashion) and retailing. He has published numerous academic papers in prestigious national and international journals such as Management Science, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Business/Chicago, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Journal of Retailing, Journal of Consumer Psychology, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Marketing Letters, Psychology and Marketing, Journal of Cultural Economics and Journal of Business Research. His research has been featured in the media including Money magazine, Times of India and National Public Radio.
- Marketing of cultural products
- Pricing and promotions
- “Design Crowdsourcing: The Impact on New Product Performance of Sourcing Design Solutions from the “Crowd,” with B.J. Allen and Deepa Chandrasekaran, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 82, March 2018, pp. 106-123. View PDF
- “The Economic Benefits to Retailers from Customer Participation in Proprietary Web Panels,” with Bradley J. Allen and Utpal M. Dholakia, Journal of Retailing, forthcoming. View PDF
- “Managing Innovation Sequences Over Iterated Offerings: Developing and Testing a Relative Innovation, Comfort, and Stimulation Framework of Consumer Responses,” with Subimal Chatterjee, Timothy B. Heath, Thorsten Hennig-Thurau and Bruno Kocher, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 79, November 2015, pp. 71-93. View PDF
- “Why Quality May Not Always Win: The Impact of Product Life-Cycles on Quality and Network Effects in High-Tech Markets,” with Richard T. Gretz, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 89, September 2013, pp. 281-300. View PDF
- “Integrating Production Costs in Channel Decisions,” with Ruhai Wu and Srinath Beldona, Journal of Retailing, Vol. 87, No. 1, March 2011, pp. 101-110. View PDF
- “Does Advertising Spending Influence Media Coverage of Advertiser?” with Diego Rinallo, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73, November 2009, pp. 33-46.
- “Reviewing the Reviewers: The Impact of Individual Film Critics on Box Office Performance,” with Peter Boatwright and Wagner Kamakura, Quantitative Marketing & Economics, Vol. 5, No. 4, December 2007, pp. 401-425. View PDF
- “An Empirical Investigation of Signaling in the Motion Picture Industry,” with Kalpesh K. Desai and Debu Talukdar, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 43, No. 2, 2006, pp. 287-295. View PDF
- “Is Silence Golden? An Inquiry Into the Meaning of Silence in Professional Product Evaluations,” with Wagner Kamakura and Peter Boatwright, Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2006, pp. 119-141.View PDF
- “Managerial Objectives, the R-rating Puzzle, and the Production of Violent Films,” with S. Abraham Ravid, Journal of Business, Vol. 77, No. 2, 2004, S155-S192.
- “How Critical Are Critical Reviews? The Box Office Effects of Film Critics, Star Power and Budgets,” with Subimal Chatterjee and S. Abraham Ravid, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 67, No. 4, 2003, pp. 103-117. View PDF
- “The Impact of Category Management on Retail Prices and Performance: Theory and Evidence,” with Murali Mantrala and Rockney Walters, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 65, October 2001, pp. 16-32. View PDF
- “Multinomial Logit Market Share Models: Equilibrium Characteristics and Strategic Implications,” with Dung Nguyen, Management Science, Vol. 44, No. 10, October 1998, pp. 1396-1408. View PDF