- Ph.D. Indiana University
- MBA Northwestern University (Kellogg)
- B.A. Northwestern University
Dr. Stewart Miller is a professor of management in the Department of Management at The University of Texas at San Antonio. He joined the UTSA faculty in 2007. He has served as the chair of the Department of Management. He has held faculty appointments as an assistant professor at The University of Texas-Austin and Michigan State University. His Ph.D. is from Indiana University, and his undergraduate and master’s degrees are from Northwestern University. He was a local arrangements co-chair for the 2011 Academy of Management annual meeting in San Antonio. He is the program chair for the 2018 Academy of International Business-Southeast annual meeting.
Dr. Miller has teaching and research interests in international strategy, liability of foreignness, international strategic alliances, internationalization and emerging markets. In 2012, he was named to “25 of the Best Business Professors in Texas” by StateStats.org. In 2017, he received the E. Lou Curry Teaching Excellence Award. In 2018, he was named a Senior Fellow at the Georgia Tech CIBER.
He has published in the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, Organization Science, Global Strategy Journal, Management International Review, Long-Range Planning and International Journal of Operations & Production Management among others. He is associate editor of the International Business Review and a member of the editorial review board of the Journal of Management Studies, Journal of International Business Studies and Global Strategy.
- Liability of foreignness
- Internationalization and firm performance
- International strategic alliances
- Emerging markets
- “Expectations for Help Within and Across Formal Boundaries of Executives’ Advice Networks,” with L. Mors and M. McDonald, Management International Review, forthcoming.
- “Executive Migration: How Executives’ Informational Cues at Departing Firms Influence Shareholder Value at Arriving Firms,” with S. Khan, R. Kalelkar and W.G. Sanders, Corporate Governance – An International Review, forthcoming.
- “Obtaining Global Certification: Analysis of Ownership Structures and TQM Commitment in Emerging Markets by Adapting the Theory of Planned Behavior,” with Kef. Xu and J. Jayaram, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, forthcoming.
- “John Trautwein and the Will-To-Live Foundation,” Ivey Case Publishing, University of Western Ontario, 2016. All royalties go to the Will-To-Live Foundation.
- “Revisiting FDI Strategies and the Flow of Firm Specific Advantages: A Focus on State-owned Enterprises,” with B. Rudy and D. Wang, Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 6, 2016, pp. 69-78.
- “International Intensity, Diversity, and Distance: Unpacking the Internationalization-performance Relationship,” with D. Lavie and A. Delios, International Business Review, Vol. 25, 2016, pp. 907-920.
- “Financial Implications of Local and Nonlocal Rival Isomorphism: A Paradox,” with D. Indro, M. Richards and H.M. Chng, Journal of Management, Vol. 39, 2013, pp. 1979-2008.
- “Multinationals and Corporate Social Responsibility in Host Countries: Does Distance Matter?” with J.T. Campbell and L. Eden, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 43, 2012, pp. 84-106.
- “Knee Deep in the Big Muddy: The Survival of Emerging Market Firms in Developed Markets,” with L. Eden, M. Hitt and D. Thomas, Management International Review, Vol. 48, 2012, pp. 645-665.
- “Alliance Portfolio Internationalization and Firm Performance,” with D. Lavie, Organization Science , Vol. 19, 2008, pp. 623-646.
- “Insider Trading and the Valuation of International Strategic Alliances in Emerging Stock Markets,” with D. Li, L. Eden and M. Hitt, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 39, 2008, pp. 102-117.
- “Experience of Emerging Market Firms: The Role of Cognitive Bias in Developed Market Entry and Survival,” with D. Thomas, L. Eden and M. Hitt, Management International Review, Vol. 47, 2008, pp. 845-867.
- “Local Density and Foreign Subsidiary Performance,” with L. Eden, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 49, 2006, pp. 341-356.
- “Turning Three Sides into a Delta at General Motors: Enhancing Partnership Integration on Corporate Ventures,” with E. Briody and S.T. Cavusgil, Long-Range Planning, Vol. 37, 2004, pp. 421-434.
- “Is There a Liability of Foreignness in Global Banking? An Empirical Test of Banks’ X-Efficiency,” with A. Parkhe, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 23, 2002, pp. 55-75.
- “The Structure of Optimal Trust: A Comment and Some Extensions,” with A. Parkhe, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 25, 2000, pp. 10-11.
- “Patterns in the Expansion of U.S. Banks’ Foreign Operations,” with A. Parkhe, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 29, 1998, pp. 359-89.