- Ph.D. Indiana University
- MBA Northwestern University (Kellogg)
- B.A. Northwestern University
Dr. Stewart Miller is professor of management in the Department of Management at The University of Texas at San Antonio. Also, he is an adjunct professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at UT Health San Antonio. He joined the UTSA faculty in 2007. He has served as the chair of the Department of Management. He has held faculty appointments as an assistant professor at The University of Texas-Austin and Michigan State University. His Ph.D. is from Indiana University, and his undergraduate and master’s degrees are from Northwestern University. He was a local arrangements co-chair for the 2011 Academy of Management annual meeting in San Antonio. He is president and co-founder of the Academy of Int’l Business Research Methods SIG. He was the 2019 conference chair and is the 2020 chapter chair for the Academy of Int’l Business-Southeast Annual Conference.
Dr. Miller has teaching and research interests in international strategy, liability of foreignness, international strategic alliances, internationalization and emerging markets. In 2012, he was named to “25 of the Best Business Professors in Texas” by StateStats.org. In 2017, he received the E. Lou Curry Teaching Excellence Award. In 2018, he was named a Senior Fellow at the Georgia Tech CIBER.
His research has been published or is forthcoming in the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management, Organization Science, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Global Strategy Journal, Management International Review, Long-Range Planning, International Journal of Operations & Production Management among others. He has been associate editor of International Business Review and is a member of the editorial review boards of the Journal of Management Studies, Journal of International Business Studies, Management International Review and Global Strategy Journal.
- Liability of foreignness
- Executive misconduct
- Internationalization and firm performance
- International strategic alliances
- Emerging markets
- “Repeated Engagement in Misconduct by Executives Involved with Financial Restatements,” with P. Khanna, S. Khan and D. Krasikova. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, forthcoming.
- “The Ownership Structure Contingency in the Sequential International Entry Mode Decision Process: Family Owners and Institutional Investors in Family-Dominant Versus Family-Influenced Firms,” with K. Xu and M. Hitt. Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 51, 2020, pp. 151-171.
- “What’s in a P? A Commentary,” with A. Chidlow and W. Greene. In L. Eden, B. Nielsen and A. Verbeke (Eds.), JIBS Research Methods in International Business. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, 2020, pp. 111-117.
- “CSR Reputation and Firm Performance: A Dynamic Approach,” with L. Eden and D. Li, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 163, 2020, pp. 619-636.
- “Political Party Tenure and MNE Location Choices,” with A. Cordero, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 50, 2019, pp. 973-997.
- “Expectations for Help Within and Across Formal Boundaries of Executives’ Advice Networks,” with L. Mors and M. McDonald, Management International Review, Vol. 59, 2019, pp. 617-642.
- “Executive Migration: How Executives’ Informational Cues at Departing Firms Influence Shareholder Value at Arriving Firms,” with S. Khan, R. Kalelkar and W.G. Sanders, Corporate Governance – An International Review, Vol. 26, 2018, pp. 293-308.
- “Obtaining Global Certification: Analysis of Ownership Structures and TQM Commitment in Emerging Markets by Adapting the Theory of Planned Behavior,” with Kef. Xu and J. Jayaram, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 38, 2018, pp. 957-978.
- “Revisiting FDI Strategies and the Flow of Firm Specific Advantages: A Focus on State-owned Enterprises,” with B. Rudy and D. Wang, Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 6, 2016, pp. 69-78.
- “Financial Implications of Local and Nonlocal Rival Isomorphism: A Paradox,” with D. Indro, M. Richards and H.M. Chng, Journal of Management, Vol. 39, 2013, pp. 1979-2008.
- “Multinationals and Corporate Social Responsibility in Host Countries: Does Distance Matter?” with J.T. Campbell and L. Eden, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 43, 2012, pp. 84-106.
- “Alliance Portfolio Internationalization and Firm Performance,” with D. Lavie, Organization Science , Vol. 19, 2008, pp. 623-646.
- “Insider Trading and the Valuation of International Strategic Alliances in Emerging Stock Markets,” with D. Li, L. Eden and M. Hitt, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 39, 2008, pp. 102-117.
- “Local Density and Foreign Subsidiary Performance,” with L. Eden, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 49, 2006, pp. 341-356.
- “Is There a Liability of Foreignness in Global Banking? An Empirical Test of Banks’ X-Efficiency,” with A. Parkhe, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 23, 2002, pp. 55-75.
- “The Structure of Optimal Trust: A Comment and Some Extensions,” with A. Parkhe, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 25, 2000, pp. 10-11.
- “Patterns in the Expansion of U.S. Banks’ Foreign Operations,” with A. Parkhe, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 29, 1998, pp. 359-89.