- Ph.D. University of Texas-Austin
- Ph.D. (ABD) Lucknow University
- M.S. Lucknow University
- B.S. (Honors) Lucknow University
- B.S. Lucknow University
Dr. Sharad Asthana is an award winning teacher and researcher who obtained his Ph.D. in accounting from the University of Texas at Austin in 1995 after 13 years of experience as a senior manager and CEO. Dr. Asthana has published in top-tier accounting journals such as, The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, Accounting Horizons, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, International Journal of Auditing and Journal of Information Systems.
He is a widely recognized researcher in the areas of pension accounting, capital markets, information technology and market for audit services. According to a recent publication, he is ranked as one of the top 25 most published researchers in accounting information systems. He is the editor-in-chief for the International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation.
He has won two “Best Paper Awards” and has been inducted twice into the Dean’s Research Honor Roll for outstanding research. He has also won two “Teacher of the Year Awards” for excellence in the classroom. Recently, he received the Carlos Alvarez College of Business Endowed Award for Overall Faculty Excellence and has been named a Dean’s Distinguished Research Scholar.
- Capital market
- Market for audit services
- Pension accounting
- Accounting information systems
- https://doi.org/10.2308/HORIZONS-2020-018.) Does Client Cyber-Breach Have Reputational Consequences for the Local Audit Office?” with R. Kalelkar and K. K. Raman, Accounting Horizons, 2021, (
- “Impact of Economic Policy Uncertainty on Disclosure and Pricing of Earnings News,” with R. Kalelkar, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Vol. 55, 2020, pp. 1481-1512.
- “Fee Competition Among Big 4 Auditors and Audit Quality,” with K. K. Raman and I. Khurana, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Vol. 52, No. 2, February 2019, pp. 403-438.
- “Diversification by the Audit Offices in the U.S. and Its Impact on Audit Quality,” Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Vol. 48, No. 4, 2017, pp. 1003-1010.
- “The Rewards to Publishing in Accounting in the U.S.,” with Steven Balsam, International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2017, pp. 65-98.
- “Client-Based Measure of the Audit Office Reputation,” International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2017, pp. 199-226.
- “U.S.-listed Foreign Companies’ Choice of a U.S.-based vs. Home Country-based Big N Principal Auditor and the Effect of Audit Fees and Earnings Quality,” with K. K. Raman and H. Xu, Accounting Horizons, Vol. 29, No. 3, Sept. 2015, pp. 631-666.
- “Organizational Form and Accounting Choice: Are Nonprofit or For-Profit Managers More Aggressive?” with Thomas Vermeer and Chris Edmonds, The Accounting Review, September 2014.
- “Effect of Client Reputation on Audit Fees at the Office Level: An Examination of S&P 500 Index Membership,” with Rachana Kalelkar, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Vol. 33, No. 1, 2014.
- “Abnormal Audit Fee and Audit Quality,” with Jeff Boone, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2012.
- “Corporate Governance, Audit Firm Reputation, Auditor Switches, and Client Stock Price Reactions: The Andersen Experience,” with Steve Balsam and Jagan Krishnan, International Journal of Auditing, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2010.
- “Earnings Management, Expected Returns on Pension Assets, and Resource Allocation Decisions,” Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Vol. 7, No. 2, 2008.
- “Factors Associated with the Early Adoption of the SEC’s Revised Auditor Fee Disclosure Rules,” with Jayanthi Krishnan, Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 2006.
- “Differential Response of Small Versus Large Traders to 10-K Filings on EDGAR,” with Steve Balsam and Srinivasan Sankaraguruswamy, The Accounting Review, 2004.
- “Impact of Information Technology on Post-Earnings Announcement Drift,” Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2003.
- “The Effect of EDGAR on the Market Response to Form 10-K Filing,” with Steve Balsam, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Vol. 20, No. 4-5, 2001.
- “Determinants of Funding Strategies and Actuarial Choices for Defined-Benefit Pension Plans,” Contemporary Accounting Research, Spring 1999.