- Ph.D. University at Buffalo
- M.S. University at Buffalo
- B.S. University at Buffalo
Dr. Rohit Valecha is an associate professor in the Department of Information Systems and Cyber Security at The University of Texas at San Antonio. He joined the UTSA faculty in 2016. His Ph.D. is from the University at Buffalo in management science and systems, and his undergraduate in electrical engineering and master’s degree in computer science are also from University at Buffalo.
Dr. Valecha has research interests in crisis response, social media and information security and privacy. In particular his research focuses on detection, mitigation and prevention of information anomalies. He also specializes in methodologies using natural language processing, text mining, social network analysis and machine learning. Dr. Valecha has teaching interests in network security, information technology and business intelligence and analytics.
Dr. Valecha has authored or co-authored more than 50 technical papers. He has published in several journals, including Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ), Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), International Journal of Information Management (IJIM), Information Systems Frontiers (ISF), Computers and Security (C&S), ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems (ACM TMIS), IEEE Engineering Management (IEEE TEM) and other ACM and IEEE outlets, as well as the Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD) Program.
Valecha’s work has received best paper and other awards at the American Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Design Science Research on Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST), Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST), Workshop on Information Technology and Systems (WITS) and others.
He is a co-PI on NSF grants (EAGER and RAPID) and a DHS grant.
He has served as an ad hoc reviewer for Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ), Information Systems Journal (ISJ), European Journal of Information Systems (EJIS), Decision Support Systems (DSS), Information & Management (I&M), Information Systems Frontiers (ISF), Computers and Security (C&S) and other journals.
- Crisis response
- Social media
- Misinformation and toxicity
- Security and privacy
- 2021–22: NSF grant #2126504, $150,000, “NSF SCC-PG Grant: Building Resilience During Disasters Through Digital Inclusion of Older Adults: A Smart and Connected Community Research Initiative,” by H. R. Rao (PI), Bijo Mathew (Co-PI), Chris Reddick (Co-PI), David Han (Co-PI) and Rohit Valecha (Co-PI).
- 2015–20: DHS grant #123, $895,237, “Analysis and Training in Defense of Biological and Digital Threats,” by Bernard Arulanandam (PI), Nicole Beebe (Co-PI), Rajendra Boppana (Co-PI), Mark Eppinger (Co-PI), Xiaoyin Wang (Co-PI), Palden Lama (Co-PI) and Rohit Valecha (Co-PI).
- 2016–19: NSF grant #IIS1651475, $199,999, “EAGER: An Investigation of the Propagation of Error-Resistant and Error-Prone Messages Over Large-Scale Information Networks,” by H.R. Rao (PI), Manish Agrawal (Co-PI), Varun Chandola (Co-PI) and Rohit Valecha (Co-PI). See Project Details
- 2016–19: NSF grant #1651060, $100,001, “RAPID: Collaborative Research: Employees’ Response to OPM Data Breaches: Decision Making in the Context of Anxiety and Fatigue,” by H. R. Rao (PI), Rui Chen (PI) and Rohit Valecha (Co-PI).
- “A Socio-Emotional Perspective of the OPM Data Breach: An Investigation of Public Reaction on Twitter,” with E. Bachura, R. Chen, H. R. Rao, Management Information Systems Quarterly, forthcoming.
- “Influence in Social Media: An Investigation of Tweets Spanning the 2011 Egyptian Social Movement,” with S. Venkatesan, N. Yaraghi, O. Oh and H. R. Rao, Management Information Systems Quarterly, forthcoming.
- “An Activity Theory Approach to Leak Detection and Mitigation in Patient Health Information,” with H. R. Rao and S. Upadhyaya, Journal of the Association for Information Systems (JAIS), forthcoming.
- “Design of an Inclusive Financial Privacy Index (INF-PIE): A Digital Financial Inclusion and Financial Privacy Perspective,” with O. Akanfe and H. R. Rao, ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, forthcoming.
- “Design of a Compliance Index for Privacy Policies: A Study of Mobile Wallet and Remittance Services,” with O. Akanfe and H. R. Rao, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2020.
- “Retweets of Officials’ Alarming Vs. Reassuring Messages During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Implications for Crisis Management,” with H. R. Rao, N. Vemprala and P. Akello, International Journal of Information Management, 2020.
- “An Activity Theory Approach to Modeling Dispatch-Mediated Emergency Response Communications,” with H. R. Rao, S. Upadhyaya and R. Sharman, Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2019.