Robert L. Cardy, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Management
- Ph.D. Virginia Tech
- M.A. Central Michigan University
- B.A. Central Michigan University
Dr. Bob Cardy is a professor of management and former chair of the Department of Management at The University of Texas at San Antonio. He joined the UTSA faculty in 2006 after serving as a professor at Arizona State University for 18 years. He also held a faculty appointment as an assistant professor at SUNY at Buffalo. His Ph.D. is from Virginia Tech and his undergraduate and master’s degrees are from Central Michigan University.
Dr. Cardy has teaching and research interests in human resources management, particularly in the areas of employee and student retention, performance appraisal and the design of effective management systems. His work on management focuses on merging human resource management practices with the contemporary organizational environment.
He has published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Management, and HR Magazine, among others. He co-founded the Journal of Quality Management. In addition to his journal publications, Bob is author of Performance Management: Concepts, Skills, & Exercises and co-author of Performance Appraisal: Alternative Perspectives, and of the text Managing Human Resources.
- Performance appraisal
- Effective management of people
- “Social Influence and the Invocation of Rights: The Effects of Accountability, Reputation and Political Skill on Legal Claiming,” (with Angela Hall & Wajda Wikhamn), Human Relations, Vol. 69, 2016, pp. 2250-2273.
- “Beyond Performance Ratings: The Long Road to Effective Performance Management,” (with D. Munjal), Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, Vol. 9, 2016, pp. 322-328.
- “Informal and Formal Performance Management: Both Are Needed,” Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, Vol. 8, 2015, pp. 108-111
- Managing Human Resources, with L. Gomez-Mejia and D. Balkin, 8th edition, Englewood, Cliffs, N.J: Prentice-Hall, 2015.
- “Will They Stay or Will They Go? Exploring a Customer-Oriented Approach to Employee Retention,” with M. Lengnick-Hall, Journal of Business and Psychology, Vol. 26, 2011, pp. 213-217.
- Performance Management: Concepts, Skills, and Exercises, with B. Leonard, 2nd edition, Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2011.
- “An Empirical Investigation of the Role of Subjective Performance Assessments Versus Objective Performance Indicators as Determinants of CEO Compensation,” with F. Caranikas-Walker, S. Goel, L. Gomez-Mejia and A.G. Rundell, A.G., Management Research, Vol. 6, 2008, pp. 7-26.
- “Employee Equity: Toward Person-based Approach to HRM,” with J.S. Miller and A.D. Ellis, Human Resource Management Review, Vol. 17, 2007, pp. 140-151.
- “Impact of Outcomes on Judgment Bias,” with T.T. Selvarajan, Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 21, 2006, pp. 52-72.
- “Competencies: Alternative Frameworks for Competitive Advantage,” with T.T. Selvarajan, Business Horizons, Vol. 49, 2006, pp. 235-245.