- Ph.D. Purdue University
- MBA Delhi University
- B Tech Indian Institute of Technology
Co-editor in chief, Information Systems Frontiers
Dr. H.R. Rao was named the AT&T Distinguished Chair in Infrastructure Assurance and Security at The University of Texas at San Antonio Carlos Alvarez College of Business in January 2016. He also holds a courtesy appointment as full professor in the UTSA Department of Computer Science. Prior to working at UTSA, Professor Rao was the SUNY Distinguished Service Professor at the University at Buffalo. He graduated from Krannert Graduate School of Management at Purdue University.
Professor Rao was inducted into the UTSA Academy of Distinguished Researchers in 2019. His interests are in the areas of management information systems, decision support systems, e-business, emergency response management systems and information assurance and artificial intelligence. He has chaired sessions at international conferences and presented numerous papers. He also has co-edited four books, including Information Assurance Security and Privacy Services and Information Assurance in Financial Services. He has authored or co-authored more than 200 technical papers, of which more than 125 are published in archival journals.
Professor Rao was the inaugural recipient of The Bright Internet Award for his contributions to the information systems discipline by KMIS, the Korea Society of Management Information Systems. In 2018 Professor Rao was awarded the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) Outstanding Service Award for significant service contributions to the field of information systems and information systems security. In November 2016, Professor Rao received the prestigious Information Systems Society Distinguished Fellow Award (Class of 2016) for outstanding intellectual contributions to the information systems discipline.
Rao’s work has received best paper and best paper runner up awards at ISR, AMCIS and ICIS. He has received funding for his research from the National Science Foundation, the Department of Defense and the Canadian Embassy. He also received the Fulbright fellowship in 2004.
Rao is a past chair of IFIP WG 8.11/11.13, the working group for Information Systems Security Research. He is co-editor in chief of Information Systems Frontiers, advisory editor of Decision Support Systems, associate editor of ACM TMIS and senior editor at MIS Quarterly.
He has placed Ph.D. students at Sogang U, UNCG, ASU, USF, FAU, MSU, OK State, FSU, Penn State, University of Warwick and others.
Rao was ranked No. 3 in publication productivity internationally in a 2011 Communications of the Association for Information Systems study. In August 2020, Rao’s h-index was 64 and his i-10 index was 178. He is a graduate of the FBI Citizens Academy.
- Management information systems
- Decision support systems
- Emergency response management systems
- Information assurance
- 2016–19: NSF grant #IIS1651475, $199,999, “EAGER: An Investigation of the Propagation of Error-Resistant and Error-prone Messages over Large-Scale Information Networks,” by H.R. Rao (PI), Manish Agrawal (Co-PI), Varun Chandola (Co-PI) and Rohit Valecha (Co-PI). See Project Details
- Moore, J. C., H. Raghav Rao and A. B. Whinston, “Information Processing for a Finite Resource Allocation Mechanism.” Economic Theory, 1996.
- Rao, H. Raghav, A. Chaudhury and M. Chakha, “Modeling Team Processes: Issues and a Specific Example.” Information Systems Research, 1996.
- Nam, K., A. Chaudhury and H. Raghav Rao, “A Mixed Integer Model of Bidding Strategies for Outsourcing.” European Journal of Operational Research, 1995.
- Rao, H. Raghav, V. S. Jacob, and F. Lin, “Hemispheric Specialization, Cognitive Differences and Their Implications for Decision Support.” MIS Quarterly, June 1992.