Onur Bayar, Ph.D.
Professor of Finance
- Ph.D. Boston College
- M.S. Carnegie Mellon University
- B.S. Bogazici University
Personal Faculty Website
Onur Bayar, professor of finance, holds a Ph.D. in finance from Boston College, an M.S. in financial economics from Carnegie Mellon University, and a B.S. in industrial engineering. His research focuses on theoretical and empirical corporate finance with emphasis in IPOs, mergers & acquisitions, capital structure, entrepreneurial finance and venture capital and market microstructure. Dr. Bayar currently teaches Intermediate Corporate Finance (FIN 3023) and Entrepreneurial Business Finance (FIN 5853).
- Corporate finance, security issuance, capital structure
- IPOs, mergers and acquisitions
- Entrepreneurial finance and venture capital
- Market microstructure
- “A Model of the Editorial Process in Academic Journals,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Research Policy, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2021, 104339.
- “Dividends Versus Stock Repurchases and Long-Run Stock Returns under Heterogeneous Beliefs,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur and Mark Liu, Review of Corporate Finance Studies, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2021, pp. 578-632.
- “Peer Monitoring, Syndication, and the Dynamics of Venture Capitalist Interactions: Theory and Evidence,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur and Xuan Tian, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 55, No. 6, 2020, pp. 1875-1914.
- “Corporate Governance, Tax Avoidance, and Financial Constraints,” with Fariz Huseynov and Sabuhi Sardarli, Financial Management, Vol. 47, No. 3, 2018, pp. 651-677.
- “A Theory of Capital Structure, Price Impact and Long-Run Stock Returns Under Heterogeneous Beliefs,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur and Mark H. Liu, Review of Corporate Finance Studies, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2015, pp. 258-320.
- “Liquidity Provision in a Limit Order Book Without Adverse Selection,” Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 66, 2013, pp. 98-124.
- “What Drives the Valuation Premium in IPOs Versus Acquisitions? An Empirical Analysis,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Journal of Corporate Finance, Vol. 18, No. 3, 2012, pp. 451-475.
- “A Theory of Equity Carve-Outs and Negative Stub Values Under Heterogeneous Beliefs,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur and Mark Liu, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 100, 2011, pp. 616-638.
- “IPOs Versus Acquisitions and the Valuation Premium Puzzle: A Theory of Exit Choice by Entrepreneurs and Venture Capitalists,” with Thomas J. Chemmanur, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Vol. 46, No. 6, 2011, pp. 1755-1793.