- Ph.D. University of Georgia
- MBA Chinese University of Hong Kong
- B.S. Northeastern University
Minghe Sun received his Ph.D. in business administration with a major in management science and information technology and a minor in operations management from the University of Georgia in 1992. He also received his MBA from the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 1987 and a bachelor’s in metallurgy from Northeastern University in China in 1982. Professor Sun has been working at UTSA since he received his doctorate.
His research interests are in mathematical programming and related areas. His work has appeared in almost all major journals in the Management Science/Operations Research/Decision Sciences area including Management Science, Operations Research, Decision Sciences, Transportation Science, INFORMS Journal on Computing, European Journal of Operational Research, Decision Support Systems, Journal of Heuristics, Annals of Operations Research, and Networks, Computers & Operations Research, among others. He received the prestigious Decision Sciences Institute Elwood S. Buffa Doctoral Dissertation Competition Award in 1993 and the Decision Sciences Institute Best Theoretical/Empirical Research Paper Award twice, once in 2003 and once in 2006.
At UTSA, Professor Sun teaches courses in management science/operations management and business statistics at the undergraduate, MBA and doctoral levels. He received the University of Texas System Chancellor’s Council Outstanding Teaching Award in 1999.
- Multiple objective programming
- Integer programming
- Network flow problems
- Facility location problems
- Data structures with composite keys
- Mathematical programming approaches for classification
- Heuristic solution procedures for hard optimization problems
- Big data analysis
- “A Differential Oligopoly Game for Optimal Production Planning and Water Saving,” with B. Xin, European Journal of Operational Research, forthcoming, 2018.
- “Optimizing (s, S) Policies for Multi-period Inventory Models with Uncertainties in Demand Distributions: A Robust Dynamic Programming Approach,” with R. Qiu and Y. F. Lim, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 261, No. 3, 2017, pp. 880-892.
- “A Multi-Kernel Support Tensor Machine for Classification with Multitype Multiway Data and an Application to Cross-Selling Recommendations,” with Z. Y. Chen and Z. P. Fan, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 255, No. 1, 2016, pp. 110-120.
- “Behavior-Aware User Response Modeling in Social Media: Learning from Diverse Heterogeneous Data,” with Z. Y. Chen and Z. P. Fan, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 241, No. 2, 2015, pp. 422-434.
- “A Method Based on the Ideal and Nadir Solutions for Stochastic MADM Problems,” with Y. P. Jiang and H. M. Liang, Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 87, 2015, pp. 114-125.
- “Combination of Multiple Bipartite Ranking for Multipartite Web Content Quality Evaluation,” with X. B. Jin, G. G. Geng and D. Zhang, Neurocomputing, Vol. 149, Part C, 2015, pp. 1305-1314.
- “Robust Optimization for Interactive Multiobjective Programming with Imprecise Information Applied to R&D Project Portfolio Selection,” with F. Hassanzadeh and H. Nemati, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 238, No. 1, 2014, pp. 41-53.
- “Finite Mixture Partial Least Squares for Segmentation and Behavioral Characterization of Auction Bidders,” with R. Mancha, M. T. Leung and J. Clark, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 57, 2014, pp. 200-211.
- “A Multi-Class Support Vector Machine: Theory and Model,” International Journal of Information Technology and Decision Making, Vol. 12, No. 6, 2013, pp. 1175-1199.
- “A Branch-and-Bound Algorithm for Representative Integer Efficient Solutions in Multiple Objective Network Programming Problems,” Networks, Vol. 62, No. 1, 2013, pp. 56-71.
- “Sceadan: Using Concatenated N-Gram Vectors for Improved File and Data Type Classification,” with N. L. Beebe, L. A. Maddox and L. Liu, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 8, No. 9, 2013, pp. 1519-1530.
- “A Hierarchical Multiple Kernel Support Vector Machine for Customer Churn Prediction Using Longitudinal Behavioral Data,” with Z. Y. Chen and Z. P. Fan, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 223, No. 2, 2012, pp. 461-473.
- “Mathematical Formulation and Exact Solution for Landing Location Problem in Tropical Forest Selective Logging: A Case Study in Southeast Cameroon,” with J. Philippart, J.-L. Doucet and P. Lejeune, Journal of Forest Economics, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2012, pp. 113-122.
- “A Tabu Search Heuristic Procedure for the Capacitated Facility Location Problem,” Journal of Heuristics, Vol. 18, No. 1, 2012, pp. 91-118.
- “A Primogenitary Linked Quad Tree Approach for Solution Storage and Retrieval in Heuristic Binary Optimization,” European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 209, No. 3, 2011, pp. 228-240.
- “A Mixed Integer Programming Model for Multiple-Group Discriminant Analysis,” International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2011, pp. 1-2.
- “Finding Integer Efficient Solutions for Multiple Objective Network Programming Problems,” Networks, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2011, pp. 362-375.
- “Linear Programming Approaches for Multiple-Class Discriminant and Classification Analysis,” International Journal of Strategic Decision Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2010, pp. 57-80.
- “A Multiple Objective Embedded Network Model for Human Resource Planning and an Implementation of the Tchebycheff Method,” with D. Drinka and B. Murray, Decision Sciences, Vol. 27, No. 2, 1996, pp. 319-341.
- “Solving Multiple Objective Programming Problems Using Feed-Forward Artificial Neural Networks: The Interactive FFANN Procedure,” with A. Stam and R. E. Steuer, Management Science, Vol. 42, No. 6, 1996, pp. 835-849.
- “The Parameter Space Investigation Method for Multiple Objective Nonlinear Programming: A Computational Investigation,” with R.E. Steuer, Operations Research, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1995, pp. 641-648.