Lila Truett, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Economics
- Ph.D. University of Iowa
- M.A. University of Iowa
- B.A. Kansas State University
Lila Truett is a professor emeritus of economics. She was named a Dean’s Distinguished Fellow for 2012-2014. She joined the UTSA faculty in 1975 after teaching at Appalachian State University and Iowa Wesleyan University. She received her Ph.D. in economics from the University of Iowa in 1972, her M.A. in economics from the University of Iowa, and her B.A. in mathematics from Kansas State University. She served as interim chair and later chair of the Division of Economics and Finance from January 1980 until September 2001. She served as chair of the Department of Economics from September 2001 to December 2001. She retired in 2019.
Dr. Truett’s current areas of research, co-authored with Dr. Dale Truett, include industry studies, applied international trade issues and topics in the theory of the firm. Her early research was in macroeconomics, particularly concerning a Keynesian interpretation of the empirical Phillips curve phenomenon. She has also co-authored three textbooks with Dr. Dale Truett. She previously served on the Board of Trustees of the Southern Economic Association and on the Advisory Board and as treasurer for the San Antonio Business and Economics Society.
Dr. Truett’s current areas of teaching include Managerial Economics and Microeconomic Theory. She has previously taught courses in Managerial Finance, Mathematical Economics, Statistics, Macroeconomics, Money and Banking, and Financial Institutions. She has received the UTSA Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award and the MBA Association Outstanding Professor in Economics.
- “Cost Relationships and Challenges in the Spanish Apparel Industry,” with D.B. Truett, Applied Economics, forthcoming.
- “Cost Relationships and Globalization in the Australian Clothing Industry,” Applied Economics, Vol. 49, No. 46, July 2017, pp. 4638-4656.
- “The German Motor Vehicle Industry: Costs and Crisis,” (with D.B. Truett), International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 48, March 2017, pp. 49-55.
- “The Motor Vehicle Industry in an Emerging Nation: The Case of Brazil,” (with D. B. Truett), Applied Economics, Vol. 48, No. 23, 2016, pp. 2170-2182.
- “The Spanish Textile Industry Sans ATC Quota Protection,” (with D. B. Truett), International Review of Applied Economics, Vol. 30, No. 3, May 2016, pp. 357-376.
- “The South Korean Auto Industry’s Path to Maturity,” with D.B. Truett, International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 31, May 2014, pp. 86-94.
- “A Ray of Hope? Another Look at the Italian Textile Industry,” with D.B. Truett, Empirical Economics, Vol. 46, No. 2, March 2014, pp. 525-542.
- “Whither Germany and the EMU in a Challenging Environment?” with D. B. Truett, Australian Economic Papers, Vol. 51, No. 1, March 2012, pp. 55-69.
- “The Korean Textile Industry: Still Competitive After All These Years?” with D. B. Truett, Applied Economics, Vol. 43, No. 22, September 2011, pp. 2983-2992.
- “New Challenges for the South African Textile and Apparel Industries in the Global Economy,” with D.B. Truett, Journal of Economic Development, Vol. 35, No. 4, December 2010, pp. 73-91.
- “Globalization Challenges for the Mexican Textile Industry,” with D. B. Truett, The International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 19, No. 4, October 2010, pp. 733-741.
- “Firm Size and Efficiency in the South African Motor Vehicle Industry,”with D. B. Truett, Australian Economic Papers, Vol. 48, No. 4, December 2009, pp. 333-41.
- “Challenges for France in the Emerging International Environment: A Dynamic Analysis,” with D. B. Truett, Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 27, No. 4, October 2009, pp. 566-573.
- “Insourcing, Outsouring, and Unemployment in the Spanish Auto Industry,” with D. B. Truett, Review of Development Economics, Vol. 12, No. 4, 2008, pp. 702-713.
- “A Cost-Based Analysis of Scale Economies in the French Auto Industry,” with D. B. Truett, International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2007, pp. 369-382.
- “Production and Cost Characteristics of the South African Motor Vehicle Industry,” with D. B. Truett, Applied Economics, Vol. 38, No. 20, November 2007, pp. 2381-2392.
- “A Cost Function Analysis of Import Demand in South Africa,” with D. B. Truett, Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 70, April 2003, pp. 425-442.
- “The Aggregate Demand/Aggregate Supply Model: A Premature Requiem?” with D. B. Truett, The American Economist, Vol. 42, No. 1, Spring 1998, pp. 71-75.
- “Economies of Scale in the Mexican Automotive Sector,” with D. B. Truett, Journal of Productivity Analysis, Vol. 7, No. 4, October 1996, pp. 429-446.
- “The Translog Cost Function and Demand for Imports: The Case of Mexico,” with D. B. Truett and B. Apostolakis, Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 60, No. 3, January 1994, pp. 685-700.
- “The Demand for Life Insurance in Mexico and the United States,” with D.B. Truett, Journal of Risk and Insurance, Vol. 57, No. 2, June 1990, pp. 321-328.
- Economics with D.B. Truett, St. Louis, Missouri: Times Mirror/Mosby College Publishing, 1987.