Lalatendu Misra, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Finance
- Ph.D University of Texas at Austin
- MBA University of Texas at Austin
- Chartered Mechanical Engineer: IRIMEE, Jamalpur, India
Lalatendu Misra is professor emeritus of finance in the Department of Finance in the Carlos Alvarez College of Business at UTSA. Professor Misra holds a Ph.D. in finance and an MBA from the University of Texas-Austin. His undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering is from IRIMEE, Jamalpur, India. Professor Misra’s research has been published in journals such as the Journal of Monetary Economics, Financial Management, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial Research and Financial Review. He is a past president of the Southwestern Finance Association.
Professor Misra currently teaches Financial Modeling and Cases in Financial Management in the MBA program and Portfolio Management in the BBA program. He has received a number of awards from the Carlos Alvarez College of Business and was named the Educator of the Year by the Southwestern Finance Association in 2011.
Professor Misra’s area of research is corporate finance and financial markets. His research has examined issues such as restructuring of financial institutions, M&A, information flow across financial markets and recently, security markets in India.
- “Ownership Level Choice and Value Creation in International Joint Ventures: The Role of Investor Protection,” (with Iness Aguir), International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 49, 2017, pp. 515-535.
- “Product Market Competitiveness and Investor Reaction to Corporate Governance Failures,” International Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 48, 2017, pp. 134-147.
- “Using Triangular Distributions for Business and Finance Simulations in Excel,” with Keith Fairchild and Yilun Shi, Journal of Financial Education, Winter 2016, pp. 315-338.
- “The Launching of Transactional Web-sites: Market Response to Announcements by Incumbent B2C Companies,” with V. Srinivasan Rao, Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, Vol. 19, 2009, pp. 50-82.
- “Deal Size, Bid Premium, and Gains in Bank Mergers: The Impact of Managerial Motivations,” with Atul Gupta, The Financial Review, Vol. 42, Issue 3, August 2007, pp. 373-400.
- “What’s in a Nickname? – Price and Volume Impacts of a Pure Ticker Symbol Change,” with P. Kadapakkam, Journal of Financial Research, Vol. 30, Issue 1, Spring 2007, pp. 59-71.
- “International Price Discovery for Emerging Market Stocks: Evidence from Indian GDRs,” with P. Kadapakkam and Y. Tse, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Vol. 21, 2003, pp. 179-199.
- “Return Linkages between Dual Listings under Arbitrage Restrictions: A Study of Indian Stocks and Their London Global Depositary Receipts,” with P. Kadapakkam, The Financial Review, Vol. 38, Issue 4, November 2003, pp. 611-633.
- “Regulatory Learning in Failed Thrift Auctions,” with A. Gupta, The Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 26, Issue 4, April 2002, pp. 651-669.
- “The Value of Experiential Learning by Organizations: Evidence from International Joint Ventures,” with A. Gupta, The Journal of Financial Research, Vol. 23, Issue 1, Spring 2000, pp. 77-102.
- “Failure and Failure Resolution in the Thrift and Banking Industries,” with A. Gupta, Financial Management, Vol. 28, Issue 4, Winter 1999, pp. 87-105.
- “Acquisitions of Solvent Thrifts: Wealth Effects and Managerial Motivations,” with A. Gupta and R. LeCompte, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 21, 1997, pp. 1431 – 1450.
- “Taxpayer Subsidies in Failed Thrift Resolutions: The Impact of FIRREA,” with A. Gupta and R. LeCompte, Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 39, 1997, pp. 327-339.
- “On the Gains to Acquiring Capital Stock S&Ls in Merger Conversion: A Comment,” with A. Gupta and R. LeCompte, Journal of Banking and Finance, May 1994, pp. 595-599.
- “FSLIC Assistance and the Wealth Effects of Savings and Loan Acquisitions,” with A. Gupta and R. LeCompte, Journal of Monetary Economics, February 1993, pp. 117-128.