- Ph.D. Queensland University of Technology
Kim-Kwang Raymond Choo holds a Ph.D. in information technology from Queensland University of Technology, Australia. Prior to starting his Cloud Technology Endowed Professorship at UTSA, Professor Choo spent five years working for the University of South Australia, and five years working for the Australian Government Australian Institute of Criminology.
He was also a visiting scholar at INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation between October 2015 and February 2016 and a visiting Fulbright scholar at Rutgers University School of Criminal Justice and Palo Alto Research Center (formerly Xerox PARC) in 2009.
Professor Choo’s areas of research include big data analytics, cyber security and digital forensics. His research has been widely cited, including in government reports of the Australian Government, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), U.S. CRS Report for Congress (Prepared for Members and Committees of Congress), International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children, International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and UK Home Office. One of his published cryptographic protocols was included in two independent submissions to the IEEE 802.11, the working group setting the standards for wireless LANs, by computer scientists from Fujitsu Labs in America; and the IETF / Network Working Group by a team of computer scientists from Tropos Networks (US), Toshiba, Huawei, and University of Murcia. Another of his published protocol was used in the P2P solution of the Milagro TLS (pairing-based cryptography for Transport Layer Security) presented to the IETF by researchers from MIRACL Ltd in 2016. His published design principle about how session keys should be constructed in cryptographic (key establishment) protocols that result in significant benefits for their security was cited in a special publication (SP 800-56A) – Recommendation for Pair-Wise Key Establishment Schemes Using Discrete Logarithm Cryptography – by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology, as well as the subsequent versions (Revision 2, 2013, and Revision 3, April 2018).
He is the co-inventor of two Australian PCT and one Australian provisional patent applications on digital forensics and mobile app security filed in 2015. He is the co-inventor of two U.S. provisional patent applications on lightweight cryptographic scheme for mobile devices and a code-based cryptographic scheme (i.e. post-quantum) filed in 2018.
Since 2011, Professor Choo has supervised to completion 18 Ph.D., 1 Doctor of IT, 13 masters and nine honors (eight 1st Class and one 2nd upper honors) theses.
He received the UTSA College of Business Col. Jean Piccione and Lt. Col. Philip Piccione Endowed Research Award for Tenured Faculty in 2018. In 2016, he was named Cybersecurity Educator of the Year – APAC (2016 Cybersecurity Excellence Awards [CEAs are produced in cooperation with the Information Security Community on LinkedIn], and in 2015, he and his team won the Digital Forensics Research Challenge organized by Germany’s University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Other awards include Best Research Paper Award at the 20th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2015), Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency (ANZPAA); National Institute of Forensic Sciences Highly Commended Award; 2010 Australian Capital Territory Pearcey Award for “Taking a risk and making a difference in the development of the Australian ICT industry,”; 2008 Australia Day Achievement Medallion in recognition of his dedication and contribution to the Australian Government Australian Institute of Criminology, and through it to the public service of the nation; and the British Computer Society’s Wilkes Award for the best paper published in the 2007 volume of the Computer Journal (Oxford University Press).
In April 2017 he was appointed an Honorary Commander, 502nd Air Base Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, USA. He is also a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society and a Senior Member of IEEE.
- Big data analytics (including privacy-preserving, identification of real-world events and big data forensics)
- Cyber security
- Offensive cyber (cyber crime, identification and exploitation of vulnerabilities, cyber operations, etc.)
- Defensive cyber (design of lightweight security solutions, blockchain-based solutions, etc.)
- Digital forensics, including forensics-by-design (e.g. cloud forensics, mobile device and app forensics, smart vehicle forensics, IoT forensics and drone forensics)
- “A Fast Nearest Neighbor Search Scheme over Outsourced Encrypted Medical Images,” with C. Guo, S. Su and X. Ta, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, in press.
- “Secure and Efficient Two-Party Signing Protocol for the Identity-Based Signature Scheme in the IEEE P1363 Standard for Public Key Cryptography,” with D. He, Y. Zhang and D. Wang, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press.
- “Privacy-Preserving Reinforcement Learning Design for Patient-Centric Dynamic Treatment Regime,” with X. Liu, R.H. Deng and Y. Yang, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, in press.
- “Geospatial Event Detection by Grouping Emotion Contagion in Social Media,” with B. Lwowski and P. Rad, IEEE Transactions on Big Data, in press.
- “Outlier Dirichlet Mixture Mechanism: Adversarial Statistical Learning for Anomaly Detection in the Fog,” with N. Moustafa, I. Radwan and S. Camtepe S, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, in press.
- “A Two-layer Dimension Reduction and Two-tier Classification Model for Anomaly-Based Intrusion Detection in IoT Backbone Networks,” with H. H. Pajouh, R. Javidan, R. Khaymi and A. Dehghantanha, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, in press.
- “Achieving Efficient and Privacy-Preserving Cross-Domain Big Data Deduplication in Cloud,” with X. Yang, R. Lu, F. Yin and X. Tang, IEEE Transactions on Big Data, in press.
- “Are you Dating Danger? An Interdisciplinary Approach to Evaluating the (In)Security of Android Dating Apps,” with R. Shetty and G. Grispos, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, in press.
- “BVPSMS: A Batch Verification Protocol for End-to-End Secure SMS for Mobile Users,” with N. Saxena, H. Shen, N. Komninos and N. S. Chaudhari, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press.
- “CLASS: Cloud Log Assuring Soundness and Secrecy Scheme for Cloud Forensics,” with M. A. M. Ahsan, A.W.B.A. Wahab, M.Y.I.B. Idris, S. Khan and E. Bachura, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, in press.
- “CryptCloud+: Secure and Expressive Data Access Control for Cloud Storage,” with J. Ning, Z. Cao, X. Dong, K. Liang and L. Wei, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, in press.
- “Fuzzy-folded Bloom Filter-as-a-Service for Big Data Storage on Cloud,” with A. Singh, S. Garg, K. Kaur, S. Batra and N. Kuman, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, in press.
- “Privacy-Preserving Tensor Decomposition over Encrypted Data in a Federated Cloud Environment,” with J. Feng, L. T. Yang and Q. Zhu, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press.
- “Greening Cloud-Enabled Big Data Storage Forensics: Syncany as a Case Study,” with Y.Y. Teing, A. Dehghantanha, M.A. Abdullah and Z. Muda, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, in press.
- “Memory-Efficient Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptography for the Internet-of-Things,” with H. Seo, L. Zhe, A. Castiglione and H. Kim, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press.
- “Privacy-Preserving Cloud Establishment and Data Dissemination Scheme for Vehicular Cloud,” with L. Zhang, X. Meng, Y. Zhang and F. Dai, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press.
- “Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Clinical Decision Support System in the Cloud,” with X. Liu, R. H. Deng and Y. Yang, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, in press.
- “Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Calculation Toolkit in the Cloud,” with X. Liu, R.H. Deng, Y. Yang and H. Pang, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press.
- “Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Support Vector Machine Design for Secure Drug Discovery,” with X. Liu, R.H. Deng and Y. Yang, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, in press.
- “Provably Secure and Lightweight Identity-based Authenticated Data Sharing Protocol for Cyber-physical Cloud Environment,” with A. Karati, R. Amin and S.H. Islam, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, in press.
- “Revocable Identity-Based Access Control for Big Data with Verifiable Outsourced Computing,” with L. Xiong and A.V. Vasilakos, IEEE Transactions on Big Data, in press.
- “Robust Malware Detection for Internet of (Battlefield) Things Devices Using Deep Eigenspace Learning,” with A. Azmoodeh and A. Dehghantanha, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, in press.
- “On Reliability Analysis of Smart Grids under Topology Attacks: A Stochastic Petri Net Approach,” with B. Li, R. Lu, W. Wang and S. Luo, ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems, Vol. 3, No. 1, Article No. 10, 2019.
- “Fuzzy Identity-Based Data Integrity Auditing for Reliable Cloud Storage Systems,” with Y. Li, Y. Yu, G. Min, W. Susilo and J. Ni, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2019, 72-83.
- “Secure Key Agreement and Key Protection for Mobile Device User Authentication,” with L. Wu, J. Wang, S. Tabbasum and D. He, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2019, 319-330.
- “A Provably-Secure Cross-Domain Handshake Scheme with Symptoms-Matching for Mobile Healthcare Social Network,” with D. He, N. Kumar, H. Wang, L. Wang and A. Vinel, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2018, 633-645.
- “Certificateless Searchable Public Key Encryption Scheme for Industrial Internet of Things,” with M. Ma, D. He, N. Kuman and J. Chen, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 14, No. 2, (2018): 759-767.
- “Efficient and Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Calculation of Rational Numbers,” with X. Liu, R. H. Deng and J. Weng, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 15, No. 1, (2018): 27-39.
- “Efficient Identity-based Encryption Scheme with Equality Test for Smart City,” with L. Wu, Y. Zhang and D. He, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, Vol. 3, No. 1, (2018): 44-55.
- “From Latency, Through Outbreak, to Decline: Detecting Different States of Emergency Events Using Web Resources,” with Z. Xu, X. Luo, Y. Liu, V. Sugumaran, N. Yen, L. Mei and C. Hu, IEEE Transactions on Big Data, Vol. 4, No. 2, (2018): 245-257.
- “Reliable Inversion in GF(28) with Redundant Arithmetic for Secure Error Detection of Cryptographic Architectures,” with M.M. Kermani, R. Azarderakhsh an dJ. Xie, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol. 37, No. 3, (2018): 696-704.
- “Towards Bayesian-based Trust Management for Insider Attacks in Healthcare Software-Defined Networks,” with W. Meng, S. Furnell and A.V. Vasilakos, IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Mangement, Vol. 15, No. 2, (2018): 761-773.
- “Hierarchy-Cutting Model Based Association Semantic for Analyzing Domain Topic on the Web,” with X. Zhang, Z. Xu, Y. Liu, X. Wei, X. Luo, L. Mei and C. Hu, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2017, 1941-1950.
- “A Cross Tenant Access Control (CTAC) Model for Cloud Computing: Formal Specification and Verification,” with Q. Alam, S.U.R. Malik, A. Akhunzada, S. Tabbasum and M. Alam, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 12, No. 6, (2017): 1259-1268.
- “Efficient Hierarchical Identity-Based Signature with Batch Verification for Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast System,” with D. He, N. Kuman and W. Wu, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 12, No. 2, (2017): 454-464.
- “SIPF: A Secure Installment Payment Framework for Drive-Thru Internet,” with J. Song, F. Yang, Z. Zhuang and L. Wang, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol. 16, No. 2, (2017): Article No. 52.
- “Social Sensors Based Online Attention Computing of Public Safety Events,” with H. Zhang, X. Wei, Z. Lu, L. Mei and X. Luo, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, Vol. 5, No. 3, (2017): 403-411.
- “A Data Exfiltration and Remote Exploitation Attack on Consumer 3D Printers,” with Q. Do and B. Martini, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 10, (2016): 2174-2186.
- “An Efficient Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Calculation Toolkit With Multiple Keys,” with X. Liu, R.H. Deng and J. Weng, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 11, (2016): 2401-2414.
- “DDOA: A Dirichlet-based Detection Scheme for Opportunistic Attacks in Smart Grid Cyber-Physical System,” with B. Li, R. Lu and W. Wang, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 11, (2016): 2415-2425.
- “Intent-based Extensible Real-time PHP Supervision Framework,” with V. Prokhorenko and H. Ashman, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 10, (2016): 1847-1861.
- “Privacy-Preserving-Outsourced Association Rule Mining on Vertically Partitioned Databases,” with L. Li, R. Lu, A. Datta and J. Shao, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 8, (2016): 1847-1861.