- Ph.D. Queensland University of Technology
Kim-Kwang Raymond Choo holds a Ph.D. in information technology from Queensland University of Technology, Australia. Prior to starting his Cloud Technology Endowed Professorship at UTSA, Professor Choo spent five years working for the University of South Australia, and five years working for the Australian Government Australian Institute of Criminology.
He was also a visiting scholar at INTERPOL Global Complex for Innovation between October 2015 and February 2016 and a visiting Fulbright scholar at Rutgers University School of Criminal Justice and Palo Alto Research Center (formerly Xerox PARC) in 2009.
Professor Choo’s areas of research include big data analytics, cyber security and digital forensics. His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), NASA, Texas National Security Network Excellence Fund, LGS Innovations, CPS Energy, Australian Research Council, Australian Government National Drug Law Enforcement Research Fund, Australian Government Cooperative Research Centre for Data to Decision, auDA Foundation, Government of South Australia (SA Health), BAE Systems stratsec, Australian-American Fulbright Commission, Australasian Institute of Judicial Administration Incorporated, etc. He has also reviewed for L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science 2021 International Awards (physical sciences, mathematics and computer science), Canada Research Chairs Program (Tier 1 Chair – 2019), etc.
His research has been widely cited, including in government reports of the Australian Government, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), U.S. CRS Report for Congress (Prepared for Members and Committees of Congress), International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children, International Telecommunication Union (ITU), and UK Home Office. One of his published cryptographic protocols was included in two independent submissions to the IEEE 802.11, the working group setting the standards for wireless LANs, by computer scientists from Fujitsu Labs in America; and the IETF / Network Working Group by a team of computer scientists from Tropos Networks (US), Toshiba, Huawei, and University of Murcia. Another of his published protocol was used in the P2P solution of the Milagro TLS (pairing-based cryptography for Transport Layer Security) presented to the IETF by researchers from MIRACL Ltd in 2016. His published design principle about how session keys should be constructed in cryptographic (key establishment) protocols that result in significant benefits for their security was cited in a special publication (SP 800-56A) – Recommendation for Pair-Wise Key Establishment Schemes Using Discrete Logarithm Cryptography – by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology, as well as the subsequent versions (Revision 2, 2013, and Revision 3, April 2018).
He is the co-inventor of two Australian PCT and one Australian provisional patent applications on digital forensics and mobile app security filed in 2015. He is the co-inventor of one U.S. provisional patent applications and two regular U.S. patent applications on lightweight cryptographic scheme for mobile devices and a code-based cryptographic scheme (i.e. post-quantum) filed in 2018 and 2019, respectively.
Since 2011, Professor Choo has supervised to completion 18 Ph.D., 1 Doctor of IT, 13 masters and nine honors (eight 1st Class and one 2nd upper honors) theses.
He received the 2019 IEEE Technical Committee on Scalable Computing (TCSC) Award for Excellence in Scalable Computing (Middle Career Researcher), the UTSA College of Business Col. Jean Piccione and Lt. Col. Philip Piccione Endowed Research Award for Tenured Faculty in 2018 and the Oustanding Associate Editor of 2018 for IEEE Access. In 2016, he was named Cybersecurity Educator of the Year – APAC (2016 Cybersecurity Excellence Awards [CEAs are produced in cooperation with the Information Security Community on LinkedIn], and in 2015, he and his team won the Digital Forensics Research Challenge organized by Germany’s University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. Other awards include British Computer Society’s 2019 Wilkes Award Runner-up, 2019 EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking (JWCN) Best Paper Award, Korea Information Processing Society’s Journal of Information Processing Systems (JIPS) Survey Paper Award (Gold) 2019, IEEE Blockchain 2019 Outstanding Paper Award, IEEE TrustCom 2018 Best Paper Award, Best Research Paper Award at the 20th European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS 2015), Australia New Zealand Policing Advisory Agency (ANZPAA); National Institute of Forensic Sciences Highly Commended Award; 2010 Australian Capital Territory Pearcey Award for “Taking a risk and making a difference in the development of the Australian ICT industry,”; 2008 Australia Day Achievement Medallion in recognition of his dedication and contribution to the Australian Government Australian Institute of Criminology, and through it to the public service of the nation; and the British Computer Society’s Wilkes Award for the best paper published in the 2007 volume of the Computer Journal (Oxford University Press).
In April 2017 he was appointed an Honorary Commander, 502nd Air Base Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, USA. He is also a Fellow of the Australian Computer Society, a Senior Member of IEEE and co-chair of IEEE Multimedia Communications technical Committee’s Digital Rights Management for Multimedia Interest Group.
- Big data analytics (including privacy-preserving, identification of real-world events and big data forensics)
- Cyber security
- Offensive cyber (cyber crime, identification and exploitation of vulnerabilities, cyber operations, etc.)
- Defensive cyber (design of lightweight security solutions, blockchain-based solutions, etc.)
- Digital forensics, including forensics-by-design (e.g. cloud forensics, mobile device and app forensics, smart vehicle forensics, IoT forensics and drone forensics)
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- “Privacy-preserving Feature Extraction via Adversarial Training,” with Ding X., Fang H., Zhang Z. and Jin H, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TKDE.2020.2997604.
- “A Novel Privacy Preserving Framework for Large Scale Graph Data Publishing,” with Ding X., Wang C. and Jin H., IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TKDE.2019.2931903.
IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- “Multi-Area Throughput and Energy Optimization of UAV-aided Cellular Networks Powered by Solar Panels and Grid,” with Chiaraviglio L., D’Andreagiovanni F., Liu W., Gutierrez J. A., Blefari-Melazzi N. and Alouini M-S., IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2020.2980834.
IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems
- “A Fuzzy Authentication System Based on Neural Network Learning and Extreme Value Statistics,” with Qin Z., Huang G., Xiong H. and Qin Z., IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TFUZZ.2019.2956896.
IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security
- “SecureNLP: A System for Multi-Party Privacy-Preserving Natural Language Processing,” with Feng Q., He D., Wang H. and Xie X., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2020.2997134.
- “An Ontological Graph Identification Method for Improving Localization of IP Prefix Hijacking in Network Systems,” with Alkadi O. S., Moustafa N. and Turnbull B., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 15, 2020, pp. 1164–1174. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2019.2936975
- “SDTE: A Secure Blockchain-based Data Trading Ecosystem,” with Dai W., Dai C., Cui C., Zou D. and Jin H., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 15, 2020, pp. 725–737. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2019.2928256
- “DCAP: A Secure and Efficient Decentralized Conditional Anonymous Payment System Based on Blockchain,” with Lin C., He D., Huang X. and Khan M. K. X., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 15, 2020, pp. 2440–2452. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2020.2969565
- “BAS-VAS: A Novel Secure Protocol for Value Added Service Delivery to Mobile Devices,”with Saxena N., Conti M. and Chaudhari N. S., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 15, 2020, pp. 1470–1485. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2019.2940908
- “A Two-Dimensional Vectorized Secure Transmission Scheme for Wireless Communications,” with Wu R., Yuan C. and Zhang N., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 15, 2020, pp. 2336–2345. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2019.2954742
- “HEDGE: Efficient Traffic Classification of Encrypted and Compressed Packets,” with Casino F. and Patsakis C., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 14, No. 11, 2019, pp. 2916–2926. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2019.2911156
- “Outlier Dirichlet Mixture Mechanism: Adversarial Statistical Learning for Anomaly Detection in the Fog,” with Moustafa N., Radwan I. and Camtepe S. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 14, No. 8, 2019, pp. 1975–1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2018.2890808
- “Secure Key Agreement and Key Protection for Mobile Device User Authentication,” with Wu L., Wang J., Tabbasum S. and He D., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2019, pp. 319–330. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2018.2850299
- “A Cross Tenant Access Control (CTAC) Model for Cloud Computing: Formal Specification and Verification,” with Alam Q., Malik S. U. R., Akhunzada A., Tabbasum S. and Alam M., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 12, No. 6, 2017, pp. 1259–1268. https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2646639
- “Efficient Hierarchical Identity-Based Signature with Batch Verification for Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast System,” with He D., Kumar N. and Wu W., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2017, pp. 454–464. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2622682
- “A Data Exfiltration and Remote Exploitation Attack on Consumer 3D Printers,” with Do Q., and Martini B., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 10, 2016, pp. 2174–2186. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2578285
- “Privacy-Preserving-Outsourced Association Rule Mining on Vertically Partitioned Databases,” with Li L., Lu R., Datta A. and Shao J., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 8, 2016, pp. 1847–1861. http://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2561241
- “DDOA: A Dirichlet-based Detection Scheme for Opportunistic Attacks in Smart Grid Cyber-Physical System,” with Li B., Lu R. and Wang W., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 11, 2016, pp. 2415–2425. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2576898
- “An Efficient Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Calculation Toolkit With Multiple Keys,” with Liu X., Deng R. H. and Weng J., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 11, 2016, pp. 2401–2414. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2573770
- “Intent-based Extensible Real-time PHP Supervision Framework,” with Prokhorenko V. and Ashman H., IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 1847–1861. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2016.2569063
IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
- “Privacy-Preserving Tensor Decomposition over Encrypted Data in a Federated Cloud Environment,” with Feng J., Yang L. T. and Zhu Q., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2018.2881452.
- “Secure and Efficient Two-Party Signing Protocol for the Identity-Based Signature Scheme in the IEEE P1363 Standard for Public Key Cryptography,” by He D., Zhang Y. and Wang D., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2018.2857775.
- “DeepFuzzer: Accelerated Deep Greybox Fuzzing,” with Liang J., Jiang Y., Wang M., Chen Y., Song H. and Jiao X., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2019.2961339.
- “Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Calculation Toolkit in the Cloud,” with Liu X., Yang Y. and Pang H., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2018.2816656.
- “Optimized Verifiable Fine-Grained Keyword Search in Dynamic Multi-owner Settings,” with Miao Y., Deng R. H., Liu X., Ning J. and Li H., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2019.2940573.
- “Multi-Authority Attribute-Based Keyword Search over Encrypted Cloud Data,” with Miao Y., Deng R. H., Liu X., Wu L. and Li H., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2019.2935044.
- “Privacy-Preserving Attribute-Based Keyword Search in Shared Multi-owner Setting,” with Miao Y., Liu X., Deng R. H., Li J., Li H. and Ma J., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2019.2897675
- “A Mixing Scheme Using a Decentralized Signature Protocol for Privacy Protection in Bitcoin Blockchain,” with Xiao R., Ren W. and Zhu T., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2019.2938953.
- “PVOPM: Verifiable Privacy-preserving Pattern Matching with Efficient Outsourcing in the Malicious Setting,” with Zhou J., Cao Z. and Dong X., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, in press https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2019.2947436.
- “BVPSMS: A Batch Verification Protocol for End-to-End Secure SMS for Mobile Users,” with Saxena N., Shen H., Komninos N. and Chaudhari N. S., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2020, pp. 550–565. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2018.2799223
- “Privacy-Preserving Cloud Establishment and Data Dissemination Scheme for Vehicular Cloud,” with Zhang L., Meng X., Zhang Y. and Dai F., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2020, pp. 634–647. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2018.2797190
- “Fuzzy Identity-Based Data Integrity Auditing for Reliable Cloud Storage Systems,” with Li Y., Yu Y., Min G., Susilo W. and Ni J., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2019, pp. 72–83. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2017.2662216
- “Memory-Efficient Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptography for the Internet-of-Things,” with Seo H., Zhe L., Castiglione A. and Kim H., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2019, pp. 521–529. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2018.2825449
- “A Provably-Secure Cross-Domain Handshake Scheme with Symptoms-Matching for Mobile Healthcare Social Network,” with He D., Kumar N., Wang H., Wang L. and Vinel A., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2018, pp. 633–645. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2016.2596286
- “Efficient and Privacy-Preserving Outsourced Calculation of Rational Numbers,” with Liu X., Deng R. H. and Weng J., IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2018, pp. 27–39. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2016.2536601