Kevin P. Grant, Ph.D., PMP
Emeritus Associate Professor of Technology Management
- Ph.D. Texas A&M University
- M.S. Air Force Institute of Technology
- B.S. United States Air Force Academy
Kevin P. Grant is the associate dean of undergraduate studies in the Carlos Alvarez College of Business. He previously served as the coordinator for the project management concentration in the MBA program. Dr. Grant previously served as the assistant dean for academic programs for the Graduate School of Logistics and Acquisition Management at the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT). He also served as the director of the graduate systems management program at AFIT.
He brings significant practical experience to the UTSA faculty. Dr. Grant has previously served as a project manager for the U.S. Air Force in the A-10 system program office and as a program manager in the Aeromedical / Casualty system program office. More recently he served as a project manager, mentor and consultant in support of USAA efforts to institutionalize project management as a core competency throughout the enterprise. Kevin holds the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification through the Project Management Institute (PMI).
- Enterprise project management
- Project management for new ventures
- “Technology Transfer Contracts Between R&D Labs and Commercial Partners: Choose Your Words Wisely,” with Richard Franza and W. Austin Spivey, Journal of Technology Transfer, forthcoming 2012.
- “Delivering Projects On Time,” with William M. Cashman and David S. Christensen, Research-Technology Management, Vol. 49, No. 6, November-December 2006, pp. 52-58.
- “Improving Federal to Private Sector Technology Transfer,” with Richard Franza, Research-Technology Management, Vol. 49, No. 3, May-June 2006, pp. 36-40.
- “Project Management Maturity: An Assessment of Project Management Capabilities Among and Between Selected Industries,” with James S. Pennypacker, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 53, No. 1, February 2006, pp. 59-68.
- “Launching the Projects in Space Learning Experience,” with Michael R. Baumann, Engineering Management Journal,Vol. 17, No. 4, December 2005, pp. 39-44.
- “Achieving Organizational Learning Through Team Competition,” with Frank Szarka and William T. Flannery, Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, March 2004, pp. 21-31.
- “Project Management Maturity: An Industry Benchmark,” with James s. Pennypacker, Project Management Journal, Vol. 34, No. 1, March 2003, pp. 4-11.
- “An Investigation of the Consistency of Heuristic Methods for Cost Uncertainty Analysis,” with Wendell P. Simpson, Journal of Cost Analysis and Management, Winter 2001, pp. 1-18.
- “The Project Manager and Project Team Involvement: Implications for Project Leadership,” with T. Scott Graham and Michael E. Heberling, The Journal of Leadership Studies, Vol. 7, No. 4, Winter/Spring 2001, pp. 32-42. Nominated for Best Paper of the Year.
- “The Perceived Importance of Technical Competence to Project Managers in the Defense Acquisition Community,” with Charles R. Baumgardner and Guy S. Shane, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 44, No. 1, February 1997, pp. 12 – 19.