- Ph.D. University of Maryland
- M.S. University of British Columbia
- B. Eng. Shanghai Jiao-Tong University
Kefeng Xu is a professor in the Department of Management Science and Statistics in the Carlos Alvarez College of Business. He joined The University of Texas at San Antonio after completing his Ph.D. in business administration with double majors in operations management and logistics / transportation from the University of Maryland. He also holds an M.S. in business administration from the University of British Columbia (Canada) and a bachelor of engineering from Shanghai Jiao-Tong University (China).
Dr. Xu’s areas of expertise and research interests include operations, logistics and information management strategy; global and domestic supply chain; inventory and supply management; transportation policy, cost and demand studies.
His works have appeared or are accepted in a number of highly-impactful journals such as Production and Operations Management, Marketing Science, Decision Sciences Journal, Journal of Management Information Systems, Transportation Research, Journal of Business Logistics, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of International Business Studies and International Journal of Production Economics, earning him significant peer citations according to Google Scholars.
His research has also received awards such as the Best Analytical Research Paper Award in the Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference, E.G. Plowman (Best Paper) Award in the Council of Logistics Management Educators conference (cscmp.org), the First Prize Graduate Research Award in the Transportation Research Forum, and twice the Col. Jean Migliorino and Lt. Col. Philip Piccione Endowed Research Award in the Carlos Alvarez College of Business (2003 and 2016). He is an associate editor of the Journal of Operations Management and serves on the editorial boards of the Transportation Journal, Journal of Business Logistics and Journal of Supply Chain and Operations Management. Recently as one of three PIs, he received a prestigious National Science Foundation research award (#1538418) to study the Supply Chain Security and Quality Control in Business and Social Context.
Dr. Xu’s teaching specialties as extended from his long-term research experiences include management science (quantitative analysis) of business operations; managerial and strategic analysis of manufacturing, service, logistics and the encompassing supply chain operations. He has taught a wide range of graduate and undergraduate courses within management science and statistics, including Decision Analysis and Production Management, Production and Operations Management, Logistics Management, Supply Chain Management, Management Decision Support System, Simulation Applications in Business, Management Science and Operations Technology, Business Statistics with Computer Applications I and II and Quantitative Methods in Business. The UTSA MBA Association has twice awarded him the Outstanding Professor in Management Science & Statistics award in the last several years.
- “Quality Reference in Consumer Product Recalls,” with Yan Dong, Sining Song and Chen Zhou, Decision Sciences Journal. https://doi.org/10.1111/deci.12453, forthcoming.
- “Emerging Market Penetration and Emissions Performance,” with Deepa Wani, Yan Dong and Manoj Malhotra, Decision Sciences Journal, forthcoming.
- “Obtaining Global Certification: Analysis of Ownership Structures and TQM Commitment in Emerging Markets by Adapting the Theory of Planned Behavior,” with Stewart Miller and Jayanth Jayaram, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2018, pp. 957-978.
- “Quality Management in Multi-level Supply Chains with Outsourced Manufacturing,” with Yan Dong, Yi Xu and Xiang Wan, Production and Operations Management, Vol. 25, No. 2, 2016, pp. 290-305.
- “Stockout Recovery Under Consignment: The Role of Inventory Ownership in Supply Chains,” with Rui Yin and Yan Dong, Decision Sciences Journal, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2016, pp. 94-124.
- “Determinants of Quality, Time and Cost Performance in Service Operations: An Empirical Study of Chinese Service Firms,” with Jayanth Jayaram, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 36, No. 3, 2016, pp. 242-264.
- “Service Failure Recovery and Prevention: Managing Stockouts in Distribution Channels,” with Yan Dong, Tony Cui and Oliver Yao, Marketing Science, Vol. 34, No. 5, 2015, pp. 689-701.
- “Too Little or Too Late: The Timing of Demand Collaboration in Supply Chains,” with Yan Dong and Yu Xia, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 241, 2015, pp. 370-380..
- “Designing Exception-Based Demand Collaboration Mechanisms,” with Yan Dong, Xiaowen Huang, K.K. Sinha, Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2014, pp. 245-284.
- “The Relative Influence of External Versus Internal Integration on Plant Performance in China,” with Jayanth Jayaram, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 146, No. 1, 2013, pp. 59-69.
- “Transshipment Incentive Contracts in a Multi-Level Supply Chain,” with Yan Dong and Philip Evers, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 223, No. 2, 2012, pp. 430-440. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.06.026).
- “The Direct and Contingency Effects of Supplier Coordination and Customer Coordination on Quality and Flexibility Performance,” with Jayanth Jayaram and Mariana Nicolae, International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 49, No. 1, 2011, pp. 59-85.
- “Stocking Policy in a Two-Party Vendor Managed Channel with Space Restrictions,” with Mark Leung, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 117, No. 2, 2009, pp. 271-285.
- “Information Gaming in Demand Collaboration and Supply Chain Performance,” with Yan Dong, Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 125, No. 1, 2004, pp. 121-144. [An earlier version of this article received the E.G. Plowman Best Paper Award in the Council of Logistics Management Educators conference.]
- “Estimating Customer Service in a Two-Location Continuous Review Inventory Model with Emergency Transshipments,” with Philip T. Evers and Michael C. Fu, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 145, No. 3, 2003, pp. 569-584.
- “Product Stereotypes, Strategy and Performance Satisfaction: The Case of Chinese Exporters,” with Lance E. Brouthers, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2002, pp. 637-655.
- “A Supply Chain Model of Vendor Managed Inventory,” with Yan Dong, Transportation Research E, Vol. 38, No. 2, 2002, pp. 75-95. [This article is ranked as the No. 5 requested article in the journal according to publisher Elsevier Science. Please see http://www.elsevier.com/homepage/sae/orms/orms.sht for details.]
- “Towards Better Coordination of the Supply Chain,” with Yan Dong and Philip T. Evers, Transportation Research E, Vol. 37, No. 1, 2001, pp. 35-54. [This article is ranked as the No. 1 requested article in the journal according to publisher Elsevier Science. Please see http://www.elsevier.com/homepage/sae/orms/orms.sht for details.]