Karan Bhanot , Ph.D.
Department Chair of Finance
Professor of Finance
- Ph.D. University of Iowa
- MBA The Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, India
Professor Bhanot earned his MBA from The Indian Institute of Management in Ahmedabad, India, and his Ph.D. in finance from the University of Iowa. Previously, Professor Bhanot has taught at the Stern School of Business at New York University, University of Wisconsin at Madison and the University of Iowa, Iowa City. He has also worked as a fixed income trader and manager at Standard Chartered Bank (formerly ANZ) in Bombay.
Professor Bhanot’s research is in the area of fixed income and corporate finance. He has recently focused on the role of debt covenants in credit risk, managerial incentives and optimal capital structure. His research has been published in journals such as the Journal of Financial Economics, the Journal of Business, the Journal of Empirical Finance and the Journal of Banking and Finance.
- “Takeover Risk and the Correlation between Stocks and Bonds,”, with S. Mansi and J. Wald, Journal of Empirical Finance, Vol. 17, 2010, pp. 381-393.
- “Should Corporate Debt include a Rating Trigger?” with Antonio Mello, Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 79, No. 1, January 2006, pp. 69-98.
- “Anatomy Of A Stock Market Intervention in Index Stocks – Signal Or Price Pressure?” with Palani-Rajan Kadapakkam, Journal of Business, Vol. 79, No. 2, March 2006.
- “What Causes Mean Reversion in Credit Spreads?- The Impact of Survival,” Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 29, No. 6, June 2005, pp. 1385-1404.
- “Value of an Option to Purchase Electric Power-The Case of Uncertain Consumption,” Energy Economics, Vol. 24, 2002, pp. 121-137.
- “Dynamics of Corporate Spreads–A Non Parametric Analysis,” Journal of Fixed Income, Vol. 11, No. 2, September 2001, pp. 28-35.
- “Stability of Transition Densities: Evidence from Competing Interest Rate Models,” Journal of Fixed Income, Vol. 9, No. 4, March 2000, pp. 27-34.
- “Behavior of Power Prices-Implications for the Valuation and Hedging of Financial Contracts,” Journal of Risk, Spring 2000, pp. 43-62.
- “Stochastic Volatility Functions Implicit in Eurodollar Futures Options,” Journal of Futures Markets, Vol. 18, No. 6, September 1998, pp. 605-628.