- Ph.D. University of Texas at Arlington
- M.A. University of Texas at Arlington
- B.S. University of Texas at Arlington
Jerry Keating is professor of statistics at the UTSA College of Business. He holds a Ph.D. in mathematical sciences, an M.A. and a B.S. degree in mathematics from the University of Texas at Arlington. He was a reliability engineer at Bell Helicopter Textron (1973-1979) and the Los Alamos National Laboratory. He served as chair of the Departments of Management Science and Statistics (2001-2004) and Demography (2007-2009). He served as interim director of the Divisions of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science (1986-1988) and Management, Marketing and Management Science (1999-2000). He served as associate dean of the College of Sciences and Engineering on three separate occasions including the first two years of the university’s Downtown Campus operations. He joined UTSA in 1981 and the College of Business in 2001.
His primary area of research compares estimators under various criteria including Pitman nearness or closeness. He has many refereed publications in scholarly journals on this subject including a monograph published by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics in 1993. He also publishes in areas of statistical inference on topics such as environmental science and reliability theory. He applies his work as a consultant in many different areas including: a reliability analysis of NASA satellites used in its Magnetospheric Multiscale mission (through Southwest Research Institute); a patent to detect leaks in underground storage tanks (Valero); and a system to determine the reliability of subsea fiber optic cables to control oil pumping stations on the ocean floor in the Gulf of Mexico (Mobil Research and Development through Southwest Research Institute).
He has received numerous honors for teaching including the President’s Distinguished Achievement Award for Teaching Excellence in 1989 and 2001; and the Chancellor’s Council Teaching Award for excellence in teaching undergraduates (from the UT System’s Chancellor’s Council) in 1995 and 2001. He teaches in the undergraduate and graduate programs in statistics and the Ph.D. program in the College of Business. He has co-advised two dissertations and served on numerous dissertation committees.
He was elected to the honorific rank of fellow of the American Statistical Association in 1997. He was named a Peter T. Flawn Professor of Statistics in 2002 at UTSA. He served as editor of STATS (1999-2001) and served on the editorial review board of Communications in Statistics as an associate editor from 1995-2012. He received the Don B. Owen Award in Statistics in 2006 given to a statistician for excellence in research, consulting and editorial service.
Keating has more than 50 refereed journal publications, two books, three book chapters, four encyclopedia articles and numerous other publications. A list of his more important contributions is given below.
- “On the Determination of Critical Values for Bartlett’s Test,” with DD Dyer, Journal of the American Statistician Association, Vol. 75, 1980, pp. 313-319.
- “Practical Relevance of an Alternative Criterion in Estimation,” with RL Mason, The American Statistician, Vol. 39, 1985, pp. 203-205.
- “Relations for Reliability Measures in the Length Biased Distribution,” with RC Gupta, Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Vol. 13, 1986, pp. 49-56.
- “The Pitman Nearness Criterion and its Determination,” with CR Rao and RL Mason, Communications in Statistics-Theory & Methods, Vol. 15, 1986, pp. 3173-3191.
- “James-Stein Estimation from an Alternative Perspective,” with RL Mason, The American Statistician, Vol. 42, 1988, pp. 160-164.
- “A Comparison of James-Stein Regression with Least Squares in the Pitman Nearness Sense,” with V Czitrom, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Vol. 34, 1989, pp. 1-9.
- “Testing Hypotheses about the Shape Parameter in a Gamma Distribution,” withRE Glaser and NS Ketchum, Technometrics, Vol. 32, 1990, pp. 67-82.
- “Comparison of Linear Estimators Using Pitman’s Measure of Closeness,” with RL Mason, PK Sen and NW Blaylock, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 85, 1990, pp. 579-581.
- “Is Pitman Closeness a Reasonable Criterion?” with M Ghosh and PK Sen, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 88, 1993, pp. 63-66.
- “Pitman’s Measure of Closeness: A Comparison of Statistical Estimators,” with RL Mason and PK Sen, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: Philadelphia, 1993.
- “Using Statistical Methods to Detect Leaks in Underground Storage Ranks,” with RL Mason, Environmetrics, Vol. 11, 2000, pp. 395-412.
- “Detecting Abrupt Leaks in Blended Underground Storage Tanks,” with RS Gill and M Baron, Communications in Statistics-Theory & Methods, Vol. 35, 2006, pp. 727-747.
- “Pitman Closeness of Order Statistics to Population Quantiles,” with N. Balakrishnan, KF Davies and RL Mason, Communications and Statistics–Simulation & Computation, Vol. 38, 2009, pp. 802-820.
- “Percentile Estimators in Location-scale Parameter Families Under Absolute Loss,” with RL Mason and N Balakrishnan, Metrika, Vol. 72, 2010, pp. 351-368.
- “Simultaneous Closeness Among Order Statistics to Population Quantiles,” with N Balakrishnan, K Davies and RL Mason, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Vol. 140, 2010, pp. 2408-2415.
- “Pitman Closeness, Monotonicity and Consistency of Best Linear Unbiased and Invariant Estimators for Exponential Distribution Under Type-II Censoring,” with N. Balakrishnan, KF Davies and RL Mason, Journal of Statistical Computation & Simulation, Vol. 81, 2011, pp. 985-999.
- “Optimal Plotting Points Derived from Simultaneous Closeness Probabilities,” with N. Balakrishnan, KF Davies and RL Mason, Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Vol. 56, 2012, pp. 2637-2649.
- “Pitman Closest Estimators Based on Convex Linear Combinations of Two Contiguous Order Statistics,” (with N. Balakrishnan, K. Davies and R.L. Mason), Ordered Data Analysis, Modeling and Health Research Methods, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics and Statistics, Vol. 149, Chapter 10, 2015, pp. 17-37.
- “Small Sample Tests for Shape Parameters of Gamma Distributions,” (with D. Bhaumik, K. Kapur, N. Balakrishnan and R.D. Gibbons), Communications in Statistics – Simulation & Computation, Vol. 44, 2015, pp. 1339-1363.
- “Linear Estimation for the Extended Exponential Power Distribution,” (with Samuel Tumlinson and N. Balakrishnan), Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, Vol. 86, 2016, pp. 1392-1403.