Hamid Beladi, Ph.D.
Janey S. Briscoe Endowed Chair in Business
Personal Faculty Website
Hamid Beladi is the Janey S. Briscoe Endowed Chair in Business and professor of economics at The University of Texas at San Antonio. He is the co-founder of the International Review of Economics and Finance and served as editor from 1992-2018. He is the editor-in-chief of the North American Journal of Economics and Finance (since 2010), series editor of Frontiers of Economics and Globalization (since 2006) and associate editor of Review of International Economics (since 1992). He also serves as a member of the editorial boards of several other journals. He is a co-founder of the International Economics and Finance Society (IEFS).
Professor Beladi has published extensively in a wide spectrum of scholarly journals including Journal of International Economics, Review of International Economics, Journal of Banking and Finance, Review of Economics & Statistics, Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Journal of Mathematical Economics, Review of Development Economics, Research Policy, Economica and European Economic Review.
- The economics of migration of skilled and unskilled labor
- International trade in technology
- Global outsourcing and bi-sourcing
- Exchange rate pass-through
- Fraudulent financial practices
Recent Selected Publications
- “On Stability of Economic Networks,” with R. Oladi and X. Luo, Theory and Decision, 2023.
- “R&D Competition and the Persistence of Technology Leadership,” with A. Mukherjee, International Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 18, 2022, pp. 272-284.
- “Malnutrition in the Shadow of Economic Growth,” with S. Marjit, L. Yang and R. Oladi, Review of Development Economics, Vol. 25, 2021, pp. 500-514.
- “Urban Development, Excessive Entry of Firms and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries,” with C.C. Chao, D. Hollas and M. Ee, The World Economy, Vol. 45, 2020, pp. 212-238.
- “The Optimal Provision of Information and Communication Technologies in Smart Cities,” Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol. 147, 2019, pp. 216-220.
- “Multidivisional Firms, Internal Competition and Comparative Advantage: Baye et al. Meet Neary,” with A. Chakrabarti, Journal of International Economics,” Vol. 116, 2019, pp. 50-57.
- “Reform, Informal Sector and Extortion,” with S. Marjit and B. Mandal, Economics & Politics, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2018, pp. 106-123.
- “Union Bargaining Power, Subcontracting and Innovation,” with A. Mukherjee, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Vol. 137, 2017, pp. 90-104.
- “FDI and Business Internationalization of the Unorganized Sector: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing,” with M. Dutta and S. Kar, World Development, Vol. 83, 2016, pp. 340-349.
- “Knowledge Goods, Ordinary Goods, and the Effects of Trade Between Leading and Lagging Regions,” with A. Batabyal, Research Policy, Vol. 44, 2015, pp. 1537-1542.