- Ph.D. University of Southern California
- MBA Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
- M.A. Stella Maris College
- B.A. Stella Maris College
Dr. Deepa Chandrasekaran is an associate professor of marketing in the Department of Marketing and is currently serving as the Department Chair of Marketing.
Chandrasekaran is an expert in the areas of new product diffusion, innovation management and international marketing strategy. Her research articles have been published in top marketing journals such as Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Journal of Consumer Psychology and the International Journal of Research in Marketing.
She has won several research awards including the American Marketing Association Global Marketing SIG’s Excellence in Global Marketing Research Award, the Christian and Mary Lindback Foundation’s Minority Junior Faculty award, the Best Paper award at the Product Development and Management Association Research Forum, the Carlos Alvarez College of Business Dean’s Faculty Research Excellence Awards. Her work was a finalist for the Marketing Science Institute/H. Paul Root Award.
Deepa currently serves as Associate Editor of the Journal of Product Innovation Management and the Journal of International Marketing. She also serves on the Editorial Review Board of the Journal of Marketing and the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. She has served as secretary of the ISMS Board (INFORMS Society for Marketing Science). Her service contributions were recognized with the Alvarez College of Business Patrick J. Clynes Excellence in Service Endowed Faculty Award.
Her teaching interests include International Marketing, Marketing Strategy, Principles of Marketing, Market Research, and New Product Development. Her teaching has been recognized with the College of Business Dean’s Faculty Teaching Excellence Award for Tenure Track Faculty.
- Digital platforms
- New product adoption and diffusion
- New product development
- Marketing strategy
- Emerging markets
- “Leapfrogging, Cannibalization, and Survival During Disruptive Technological Change: The Critical Role of Rate of Disengagement,” with Gerard J. Tellis and Gareth M. James, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 86, No. 1, 2022, 149-166.
- “How Can Platforms Decrease Their Dependence on Traditional Indirect Network Effects? Innovating Using Platform Envelopment,” with BJ Allen and Rick Gretz, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 38, No. 5, 2021, 497-522.
- “The Association Between the Attitude of Food-Waste-Aversion and BMI: An Exploration in India and the US,” with Rajagopal Raghunathan, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2021, 81-90.
- “How Parental Love Received in Childhood Affects Consumers’ Future Financial Discipline,” with Rajagopal Raghunathan and Zhiyong Yang, Journal of the Association for Consumer Research, Vol. 5, No. 3, 2020, 248-258.
- “Design Crowdsourcing: The Impact on New Product Performance of Sourcing Design Solutions from the “Crowd,” with B.J. Allen and Suman Basuroy, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 82, No. 2, 2018, 106-123.
- “Effects of Offline Ad Content on Online Brand Search: Insights from Super Bowl Advertising,” with R. Srinivasan and D. Sihi, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 46, No. 3, 2018, 403-430.
- “Open Innovation, Product Portfolio Innovativeness and Firm Performance: The Dual Role of New Product Development Capabilities,” with G. Rubera and A. Ordanini, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 44, Issue 2, March 2016, pp. 166-184.
- “Pricing and International Takeoff of New Products,” with J. Arts, G. J. Tellis and R. Frambach, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 30, No. 3, 2013, pp. 249-264.
- “Getting a Grip on the Saddle: Cycles or Chasms?” with G. J. Tellis, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 75, No. 4, 2011, pp. 21-34.
- “Extent and Impact of Response Biases in Cross-National Survey Research,” with G. J. Tellis, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 27, No. 4, 2010, pp. 329-341.
- “Global Takeoff of New Products: Culture, Wealth or Vanishing Differences,” with G. J. Tellis, Marketing Science, Vol. 27, No. 5, 2008, pp. 844-860.
- “A Critical Review of Marketing Research on Diffusion of New Products,” with G. J. Tellis, Review of Marketing Research, Vol. 3, 2007, pp. 39-80.