- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- M.A. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- B.B.A. University of Houston
Daniel R. Hollas was awarded M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in economics from the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign. He holds a B.B.A. degree in economics from the University of Houston. Prior to joining the faculty at UTSA, he was an associate professor and department chair at the University of Mississippi in Oxford. A common thread of his research since the 1970’s has been the effects of competition in regulated industries. He has served as an external reviewer for a number of journals, including the Energy Journal, Southern Economic Journal, International Economic Review, Journal of Productivity Analysis, and Journal of Regulatory Economics.
- Restructuring of electric and gas industries
- Real estate issues
- International economics
- “Cross-Border Mergers and Upstreaming,” The World Economy, Vol. 40, No. 3, 2017, pp. 598-611.
- “A Public Firm in a Vertically Linked Price Discriminating Spatial Duopoly,” (with Hamid Beladi and A. Chakrabarti), Economic Systems, Vol. 40, 2016, pp. 59-63
- “Medical Tourism and Health Worker Migration in Developing Countries,” (with Hamid Beladi, C.C. Chao, M.S. Ee), Economic Modeling, Vol. 46, 2015, pp. 391-396.
- “Fair Wages, Urban Unemployment and Welfare in a Developing Economy,” with Hamid Beladi and Chi-chur Chao, Economics Bulletin, Vol. 31, No. 1, Winter 2011, pp. 273-285.
- “Zillow’s Estimates of Single-Family Housing Values,” with Ronald C. Rutherford and Thomas Thomson, The Appraisal Journal, Vol. LXXVIII, No. 1, Winter 2010, pp. 26-32.
- “A Data Envelopment Analysis of Gas Utilities’ Efficiency,” with Kenneth R. Macleod and Stanley R. Stansell, Journal of Economics and Finance, Vol. 26, No. 2, Summer 2002, pp. 123-137.
- “Downstream Gas Pricing in an Era of Upstream Deregulation,” Journal of Regulatory Economics, Vol. 6, September 1994, pp. 227-245.
- “An Examination of the Relative Economic Efficiency of Mutual vs. Stock Savings Institutions,” with Stanley R. Stansell, The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Vol. 3, 1990, pp. 73-89.
- “Firm and Interruptible Pricing Patterns: Public Versus Private Gas Distribution Utilities,” Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 57, October 1990, pp. 371-393.
- “Firm/Interruptible Gas Pricing Patterns in a Regulated Environment.” Journal of Regulatory Economics, Vol. 1, March 1989, pp. 47-68.
- “An Examination of the Effect of Ownership Form on Price Efficiency: Proprietary, Cooperative and Municipal Electric Utilities,” with Stanley R. Stansell, Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 55, October 1988, pp. 336-350.
- “Regulation, Interfirm Rivalry, and the Economic Efficiency of Natural Gas Distribution Facilities,” with Stanley R. Stansell, Quarterly Review of Economics and Business, Vol. 28, Winter 1988, pp. 21-37.
- “An Estimation of the Deadweight and X-Efficiency Losses in the Municipal Electric Industry,” with Robert S. Herren, Journal of Economics and Business, Vol. 34, 1982, pp. 269-280.
- “Competition, Regulation and Second Degree Price Discrimination in the Municipal Electric Industry,” with Thomas S. Friedland, Quarterly Review of Economics and Business, Vol. 20, Autumn 1980, pp. 41-59.
- “The Effect of Shortages on Industrial Concentration,” with Thomas S. Friedland, The Antitrust Bulletin, Vol. 22, Spring 1977, pp. 106-117.