- Ph.D. University of Washington
- M.S. University of Washington
- B.S. Yonsei University
Dr. Daijin Ko is professor emeritus of statistics in the Department of Management Science and Statistics. He joined the UTSA faculty in 2003 and retired in 2019. Prior to his current position, Dr. Ko was a professor and the graduate program director at the Department of Biostatistics at the Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University (1985-2003). He is also an adjunct professor of biostatistics and epidemiology at the UT Health Science Center in San Antonio and a professor at the UTSA Neurosciences Institute.
Professor Ko’s research focuses on the use of stochastic modeling and/or machine learning methods in scientific applications in bioinformatics, neuroscience, geophysics (reconstruction of the past position of tectonic plates) and information science (information retrieval and security risk identification). Professor Ko’s current research projects includes 1) characterization and modeling groups of neural spike trains and multiple group comparison of point processes; 2) identification of information security risks involving organizational information security management using data mining tools; 3) development of new statistical learning tools to improve their performances and retrieval effectiveness by combining supervised and/or unsupervised learning tools; 4) robust directional data analysis; and 5) methods development for microarray and proteomics data analysis.
Professor Ko teaches in the areas of bioinformatics (microarray and proteomics data analysis), advanced statistical learning/ data mining, advanced survival analysis (counting process approach), survival analysis, categorical data, and advanced theory of statistical inference.
- “Phasic Dopamine Transmission Reflects Initiation Vigor and Exerted Effort in an Action- and Region-specific Manner,” (with M.J. Wanat), Journal of Neuroscience, Vol. 36, No. 7, 2016, pp. 2201-2211.
- “Chronic Loss of Noradrenergic Tone Produces β-arrestin2-mediated Cocaine Hypersensitivity and Alters Cellular D2 Responses in the Nucleus Accumbens,” (with M. Gaval-Cruz, R.B. Goertz, D.J. Puttick, D.E. Bowles, R.C. Meyer, R.A. Hall, C.A. Paladini and D. Weinshenker), Addiction Biology, Vol. 21, No. 1, 2016, pp. 35-48.
- “Transcriptional and Translational Heterogeneity Among Neonatal Mouse Spermatogonia,” (with Brian P. Hermann, Kazadi N. Mutoji, Ellen K. Velte, Jon M. Oatley, Christopher B. Geyer, and John R. McCarrey), Biology of Reproduction, Vol. 92, No. 2, 2015, pp. 1-12.
- “Food Restriction Increases Glutamate Receptor-mediated Burst Firing of Dopamine Neurons,”with M. Beckstead, S. Branch, R. Goertz, A. Sharpe, J. Pierce, S. Roy, C. Paladini, Journal of Neuroscience, Vol. 33, No. 34, 2013, pp. 13861-13872.
- “Combining Classifiers Using Class-specific Precision Index Function,” with Jose Bird, International Journal of Applied Pattern Recognition, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2013, pp. 3-26.
- “Detection of Bursts and Pauses in Spike Trains,”with C. Wilson, C. Lobb and C. Paladini, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Vol. 211, No. 1, 2012, pp. 145-158.
- “Enriching for Correct Prediction of Biological Processes Using a Combination of Diverse Classifiers,” with Brad Windle, BMC Bioinformatics, Vol. 12, 2011, pp. 189-201.
- “Post-Retrieval Search Hit Clustering to Improve Information Retrieval Effectiveness: A Digital Forensic Case Study,” with Nicole Lang Beebe, Jan Clark, Glenn Dietrich and Myung Ko, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 51, No. 4, 2011, pp. 732-744.
- “Sequence Signatures and mRNA Concentration Explain Two-thirds of Protein Abundance Variation in a Human Cell Line,” with Christine Vogel, Raquel de Sousa Abreu, Shu-Yun Le, Bruce Shapiro, Suzanne Burns, San Boutz, Devraj Sandhu, Edward Marcotte and Luiz O. F. Penalva, Molecular Systems Biology, Vol. 6, No. 400, 2010, pp. 1-9.
- “Over-represented Sequences Located on 3′ UTRs Are Potentially Involved in Regulatory Functions,” with Kihoon Yoon, Mark Doderer, Carolina Livi, Nathan Trinklein and Luiz O. F. Penalva, RNA Biology, Vol. 5, No. 4, 2008, pp. 255-262.
- “Revisiting the Impact of Information Technology Investments on Productivity: An Empirical Investigation Using Multivariate Adaptive Regression Splines,” with M. Ko and J. Clark, Information Resources Management Journal, Vol. 21, No. 3, 2008, pp. 1-23.
- “Gene Function Classification using NCI-60 Cell Line Gene Expression Profiles,” with W. Xu and B. Windle, Computational Biology and Chemistry, Vol. 29, No. 6, 2005, pp. 412-419.
- “M-estimates of Rigid Body Motion on the Sphere and in Euclidean Space,” with T. Chang, Annals of Statistics, Vol. 23, 1995, pp. 1823-1847.
- “Robust M-estimators on Spheres,” with T. Chang, Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Vol. 45, 1993, pp. 104-136.
- “Estimation of the Concentration Parameter of Von Mises-Fisher Distributions,” Annals of Statistics, Vol. 20, 1992, pp. 917-928.