- Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh
- M.A. Tulane University
Dr. Charles Z. Liu is an associate professor of information systems at The University of Texas at San Antonio. He received his Ph.D. in management information systems from the Katz Graduate School of Business, University of Pittsburgh. His research interests include the economics of information systems, network externalities, mobile apps and standards competition in IT markets. Dr. Liu is an ICIS Doctoral Consortium Fellow (2006) and a recipient of the Net Institute Research Grant (2007). His research has been presented at international conferences such as ICIS, AMCIS, INFORMS and WISE and published in leading information systems journals such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research (ISR), Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), Communications of the ACM (CACM) and Communications of the AIS (CAIS).
Dr. Liu currently teaches undergraduate application development and advanced database concepts, and graduate database design.
- Economics of IS
- Network externalities
- Standards/platform competition
- Mobile apps
- Game theory modeling
- “Effects of Freemium Strategy in the Mobile App Market: An Empirical Study of Google Play,” with Yoris Au and Hoon Seok Choi, Journal of Management Information Systems, forthcoming.
- “Rethinking FS-ISAC: An IT Security Information Sharing Network Model for the Financial Services Sector,” with Humayun Zafar and Yoris Au, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, January 2014.
- “A Multilevel Investigation of Participation Within Virtual Health Communities,” with Nima Kordzadeh, Yoris Au and Jan G. Clark, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 34, No. 1, January 2014.
- “Strategies for Tomorrow’s ‘Winners-Take-Some’ Information Technology Markets,” with Chris, F. Kemerer and Michael D. Smith, The Communications of the ACM, Vol. 56, No. 5, May 2013, pp. 76-82.
- “Standards Competition in the Presence of Conversion Technology: An Empirical Analysis of the Flash Memory Card Market,” with Chris, F. Kemerer, Sandra A. Slaughter and Michael D. Smith, MIS Quarterly, Vol. 36, No. 3, September 2012, pp. 921-942.
- “Compatibility and Proprietary Standards: The Impact of Conversion Technologies in IT Markets with Network Effects,” with Esther Gal-Or, Chris, F. Kemerer and Michael D. Smith, Information Systems Research, Vol. 22, No. 1, March 2011, pp. 188-207.
- “Method Effects In IS Survey Research: An Assessment and Recommendations,” with William R. King, and Mark Haney, The Communications of the AIS, Vol. 20, No. 30, October 2007.