Bruce C. Rudy, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Management
Department of Management
- Ph.D. University of Texas at Austin
- M.S. University of Texas at Austin
- M.S. University of Michigan
- B.B.A. University of Texas at Austin
Dr. Bruce Rudy is a University of Texas System Regents’ Outstanding Teaching Award winner and associate professor of strategy in the Department of Management at the University of Texas at San Antonio. He joined the UTSA faculty in 2011 after completing his Ph.D. in Strategic Management at the University of Texas at Austin. His undergraduate and master’s degrees are also from the University of Texas at Austin. Additionally, he holds a master’s degree from the University of Michigan.
Dr. Rudy is the former senior executive and faculty director for the Center for Professional Excellence (CPE) at UTSA’s Carlos Alvarez College of Business. Under his four years of leadership, the CPE developed a variety of new executive education offerings including customized programs with UT Health-San Antonio and USAA. During this time, Dr. Rudy pioneered the Discover, Discuss, Do andragogical framework that led to the redesigning of the Executive MBA curriculum. After implementing this learning framework, the EMBA achieved its first ever ranking in CEO Magazine’s top Global EMBA programs where it is currently ranked 8th.
Dr. Rudy research focuses in the areas of learning and development, corporate political activity, and corporate social responsibility. Regarding learning and development, his work explores techniques and best practices to improve student learning outcomes. Regarding corporate political activity, his work considers the motivations that drive firms to invest in government relations (i.e., lobbying, political contributions) and the performance outcomes of such investments. Regarding corporate social responsibility, his research focuses on the impact of CSR investments on the firm’s stakeholders and its long-term performance.
His research has been published in Journal of Management, Global Strategy Journal, Business & Society, Harvard Business Review and California Management Review.
- Learning and Development
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Corporate Political Activity
- Build Learning into Your Employees’ Workflow,” Harvard Business Review, July 2022 (https://hbr.org/2022/07/build-learning-into-your-employees-workflow)
- “Enron and the Energy Transition to Renewables,” California Management Review Insight, January, 2022 (https://cmr.berkeley.edu/2022/01/enron-and-the-energy-transition-to-renewables/).
- “Attack or Defend? The Role of Institutional Context on Patent Litigation Strategies,” (with S.L. Black), Journal of Management, Vol. 44, No. 3, 2018, pp. 1226-1249.
- “Performance, Aspirations and Market Versus Nonmarket Investment,” (with A.F. Johnson), Journal of Management, Vol. 42, No. 4, 2016, pp. 936-959.
- “Revisiting FDI Strategies and the Flow of Firm‐specific Advantages: A Focus on State‐owned Enterprises,” (with S.R. Miller and D. Wang), Global Strategy Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2016, pp. 69-78.