Objectives & Activities
- Design and offer undergraduate and master’s level courses in emerging markets and global entrepreneurship.
- Contribute to the graduate certificate in entrepreneurship.
- Develop internships, independent studies and immersions in global entrepreneurship.
- Advise development-focused finance institutions, governments and nongovernmental organizations on policy development, best practices and training programs related to entrepreneurship development.
- Conduct applied research necessary to realize the above objectives, including case studies.
- Contribute to public and academic forums and discussions on the issues of global entrepreneurships.
- CGE is currently sponsoring/mentoring an MBA team composed of students from the Global Entrepreneurship class to participate in the Free Trade Alliance Competition in the spring 2016. Members include Amber Ramirez (MBA) and Caleb Sharbono (MBA).
- The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) invited Dr. de la Viña to speak to the Red de Empresarias de Nicaragua (REN) in Managua, Nicaragua regarding, “Entrepreneurship Financing Issues.”
- Dr. de la Viña was invited and approved to join the graduate faculty of the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio (UTHSCSA) Translational Science (TS) Ph.D. program.
- Dr. de la Viña was approved to serve on the Ph.D. Committee for Dr. Jane Shen-Gunther in the TS Ph.D. program.
- Dr. de la Viña was approved to serve on the Ph.D. Committee for Stephanie Black, COB Ph.D. student in management.
- The CGE joined the International Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ICSBE) and the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE).
- CGE MBA Team was a finalist in the San Antonio Free Trade Alliance Business Plan competition. Their project was the KINGEAR Industries newly patented gearbox design. The business plan focused on manufacturing in the U.S. with export to the wind energy sector in Germany. The new Kingear introduced more power density, energy efficiency, and low maintenance due to its epicyclical bevel gearing design. Members of the team included: GianLuca Zanella (patent holder, MSMOT), Mathew Valdez (MBA), Keith Delahoussaye (MSMOT), and Deven Bhakta (MBA).
- CGE developed a relationship with the UTHSCSA Translational Science Ph.D. program, with Translational Science students enrolled in COB graduate entrepreneurship courses (7 by 2016).
- Dr. de la Viña and Ph.D. student, Stephanie Black, presented a paper at the Dublin meeting of the International Council of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ICSBE). The paper was entitled, “Equity Crowdfunding Initiatives in the United States .“
- The CGE MBA international team won second place and $4,000 in the Free Trade Alliance Competition. The project was entitled, “Green Haus,” a specialty business in organic household products. The international strategic plan involved Green Haus’ expansion into Canada utilizing aspects of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). The team was composed of MBA international students, Martina Skot, Allison Sumners, and Taylor Measley.
- Participated and presented at the Democracy Delivers for Entrepreneurs Conference in Chicago.
- Participated in Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) International Leadership Competition that included the review of projects from Pakistan, Mongolia, Kenya, Philippines, Venezuela, Bangladesh and Serbia; developed rubric for project analysis; analyzed each entry; and developed summary page. Results presented to CIPE directorship for final decision making.
- Invited to present and discuss issues of entrepreneurship and capital formation regarding Hispanic businesses to the Senate Hispanic Congressional Caucus in Washington, D.C.
- Participated and presented in the Democracy Delivers for Women Conference in Washington, D.C.
2004 to present
- Board affiliation with Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) in Washington, D.C. Assist with all aspects of CIPE strategic planning and review of programs and projects throughout the world.
- Affiliated member of the Free Trade Alliance, World Affairs Council and Empresarios de Mexico.