The Cyber Center conducts research and develops big data solutions that address emergent information and knowledge challenges in the areas of enterprise security situational awareness and cyber-related decision making.
Such decision making includes automated decision making by devices “at the edge,” semi-autonomous decision making deep within complex networks and enabling and facilitating efficient and effective data-driven decision making by humans anywhere in the process. Past successes and current focus areas include, but are not limited to the following areas.
- “Smart” cyber forensics tools
- Anomaly detection focused analytics
- Risk based analytics and triage algorithms
- Root cause attribution-based analytics
- Security of big data
The center’s cyber security research focuses on enhancing government and industry’s ability to protect, defend, respond and investigate in the face of an ever-changing and increasingly complex threat landscape. Center researchers tackle real-world challenges and provide timely solutions in the following research areas, among others.
- Insider threat detection
- Digital forensics
- Cyber physical system security
- Cyber threat hunting and risk assessment
- Cloud, mobile and IoT cyber security and forensics
- Social, organizational, psychological and economic aspects of cyber security