Academic Credit Internship
If you need help locating an internship, we recommend that you contact the faculty supervisor of your specific area and consult the Career Services RowdyJobs online. If you are still having difficulty finding one, please schedule an appointment with the Director of Professional Development located in the Business Building, Room 2.01.08, (210) 458-4689.
This Web site contains information and forms required for obtaining approval for a College of Business academic credit internship. (Course number in disciplines is 4933 and FIN 4903).
Academic Credit Internships Requirements
- Declared your major in the College of Business
- Already completed 75 Semester Hours of Credit
- Minimum of 15 hours at UTSA
- 2.5 minimum cumulative overall GPA
- (Minimum GPA not required for Const. Management & Building Dev.)
- Meet all catalog prerequisites for the discipline/major
- No more than two academic internships allowed
- Finance limit is one three hour credit
- Position cannot be with the student’s current employer
- Exception: provide evidence that internship is substantially and programmatically different than current job.
- Provides minimum of 200 work hours within semester registered
- Supervisor is employee of the firm and not related to the student
- Written job responsibilities directly related to major
- Professional in nature, not primarily clerical
- Must start and complete work hours in term registered
- Sponsoring employer must complete and return intern evaluation
The following file is in Adobe Acrobat format click here to get the reader.
Internship Packet for academic credit internship (pdf format 139KB)
The student must complete the following steps:
DEADLINE: All completed and approved forms must be presented to the Advising Center no later than the last ADD day as listed in the semester's Class Schedule Book. After this date, the student must seek the approval of the department chair first before proceeding with the formal request.
- Complete Section I of the form and have the proposal completed by the employing supervisor.
- Bring the form and the proposal to the Advising Center and have an advisor complete the Certification of Eligibility, Section II.
- Meet with the faculty supervisor to complete Section III.
- Take the form and the proposal to the department chairman for his/her approval.
- Return the forms with the signatures of the faculty supervisor, the department chair and the associate dean to the Advising Center no later than the last ADD day of late registration as listed in the semester's Class Schedule Book.
- Student is registered for the internship by the Advising Center.
- Once internship starts, student gives the evaluation form to the employing supervisor. Supervisor completes form at the end of the academic term and sends to the faculty supervisor by finals week.
- Submit internship paper to faculty supervisor by the first of finals week.
- Accounting - Dr. Marshall Pitman - 458-5320
- Real Estate Finance and Development - Dr. Tom Thompson - 458-5306
- Economics - Dr. Fathali Firoozi - 458-5395
- Finance - Dr. Lalatendu Misra 458-5349 or Dr. Keith Fairchild - 458-5307
- General Business - (Arrange with faculty member)
- Human Resources Management - (Arrange with faculty member)
- Information Systems - Dr. Glenn Dietrich - 458-5354
- Management (all concentrations) - (Arrange with faculty member)
- Management Science & Statistics - Dr. Raydel Tullous - 458-5381
- Marketing - Dr. Richard Utecht - 458-2510
- Marketing/Tourism Concentration - Dr. Thomas F. Cannon - 458-3111