Sample Interview Questions
Interviews are a crucial time in the job search process. Thinking about your answers before you go into a high-pressure interview can be the difference in whether or not you gain employment with a certain company. The following questions are most typically asked in interviews. Meet with your College of Business Career Counselor to discuss these questions and possible answers. Practice answering these before an interview to ensure that you are ready by interview time.
- Tell me (us) a little bit about yourself.
- Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing?
- Why do you want this position with our company?
- What is your biggest strength? How have you used that in a work environment?
- What is your biggest weakness or limitation? How has that affected you in your previous employment?
- What motivates you?
- What previous experiences do you have that qualify you for this position?
- How do you stay organized?
- What are your five year goals? Ten year goals?
- What drew you to this position or organization?
- What do you feel that you contribute most to a work place?
- Tell me (us) about your biggest accomplishment in life?
- How do you define success?
- How would your previous supervisor describe you?
- How would your previous co-workers describe you?
- Have you ever been asked to leave a position?
- What is your ultimate career goal?
- Which subject(s) did you enjoy most in school?
- Which subject(s) did you enjoy least in school?
- Describe your most rewarding experience.
- Describe a situation in which you worked as part of a team. What role did you take on? What went well and what didn't?
- Describe a time when you had to work with an angry or disgruntled customer?
- Was there an occasion when you disagreed with a supervisor's decision or company policy? Describe how you handled the situation.
- Discuss a time you had a disagreement with a colleague.
- Describe a time when you successfully completed a project.
- Describe a time when you did not successfully complete a project. What did you learn from that experience?
- Tell me (us) about a time when you had to learn something as you went? What challenges did you face in this situation?
- Tell me (us) how you handle someone who is not doing their part and having a negative effect on the team.
- Describe a time when you worked under intense pressure. How did you handle the situation?
- Tell me (us) about a time when you led a team.
- Are you willing to relocate if necessary?
- Are you willing to work extended (weekend) hours?
- Are you willing to travel if the job necessitates it? How much would you be willing to travel?
- Describe your ideal work environment.
- What is your ideal supervisor like?
- Describe your supervisory style.
- Do you work better alone or with a team?
- How do you prioritize tasks throughout the day?
- What two or three things would be most important to you in a job?