Graduate Internship Information
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Graduate students who wish to participate in an internship as one of their electives.
- Students who have a GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Students who have completed ALL required leveling courses, as well as 12-15 hours of degree required coursework. Also, prerequisite requirements may vary by department.
HOW DO YOU BEGIN THE PROCESS OF GETTING AN INTERNSHIP?
- Visit a Graduate Advisor in the Graduate Advising Office (BB 4.01.18), where you can pick up an internship form.
- The graduate advisor must provide the cumulative grade point average, the cumulative hours earned, and initial in the upper right corner of the internship form.
- Upon getting academic approval, you will then meet with the Graduate Business Career Services Officer to obtain approval.
HOW DO YOU OBTAIN AN INTERNSHIP WITH AN ORGANIZATION?
- You may seek a cooperating organization of your choice.
- You may use the UTSA RowdyJobs to search and apply for internships.
- You may seek guidance from the Graduate Business Career Officer.
- Have the supervisor of the cooperating organization fill out and sign the proposal for internship form.
WHAT FACULTY MEMBER SUPERVISES THE INTERNSHIP?
- Seek out a cooperating faculty member from the department in which you want the internship credit to count.
- The student and the faculty member will record the terms of the internship on the course form.
- For MACY students, please contact Dr. Marshall Pitman who supervises all accounting internships.
ARE THERE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS?
- If you do not have professional work experience, you are required to attend a brief Internship Workshop prior to the start of your internship. Graduate Business Career Services can review your résumé to determine whether you need the workshop. Graduate Business Career Services will work with you to schedule a convenient time for the Internship Workshop. Upon successful completion of the workshop (or approved waiver based on professional work experience), Graduate Business Career Services will sign your internship checklist form.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- Obtain signatures from the Faculty Supervisor and the Department Chair.
- Bring all the internship forms to the Graduate Advising Office (BB 4.01.18). We will provide advisor and dean signatures. We will also provide the Graduate Business Career Services Officer signature upon completion of the Internship Workshop (if needed).
- You will receive a copy of the internship form and a copy of the proposal form. The originals are kept in your academic file.
- You are now finished with the application process. Registration will be completed by an advisor, who will send a copy of the forms to the Faculty Supervisor, and register you for the internship as a course. You will be notified by e-mail when the procedure has been completed.
- The internship packet includes an evaluation form for your supervisor.
- At the end of the semester (or the end of the internship), the completed evaluation can be placed in a sealed envelope and given to the student intern for delivery to the Faculty Supervisor.
- The employer has the option to mail the internship form directly to:
FACULTY SUPERVISOR NAME
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
Questions can be directed to Graduate Business Career Services at (210) 458-7328.