What is BSP?
The Business Scholars Program is a mentoring program for first-generation college students majoring in business (neither parents have a bachelor's degree). Established by the College of Business in 2002, the program helps students make a smooth transition from high school to college and on to graduation. The program is open to full-time College of Business freshmen, sophomores and transfer students.
To remain in the program, a student must sustain good standing in the College of Business, maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and attend a minimum of six Business Scholar activities per semester. Students who excel in the program are eligible for scholarships and merit awards and are given priority access to the college's professional development and career placement programs.
With BSP you will...
- Network with business professionals
- Learn business skills
- Participate in a mentoring program
- Receive personalized academic advising
- Participate in community service activities
- Earn scholarships
- Attend College of Business VIP events
Academics come first; therefore, Business Scholars receive personalized academic advising and mentoring to make attaining a college diploma the top priority. Students are given the tools for academic success and are encouraged to use those tools throughout their academic career.
The BSP provides leadership training and teaches Scholars to apply their new skills by facilitating programs and presentations and by serving on the Council of Business Scholars.
The final component of the program is professional development workshops for Scholars in areas such as résumé review, interview preparation, networking and portfolio development. This training helps equip Scholars for a successful career in business.
- Mentoring programs with the San Antonio business community
- Company site visits
- Leadership & goal setting retreats
- Personal coaching and SMART goal setting
- Academic advising
- Networking receptions with local business professionals
- Interview preparation
- Résumé development
- Portfolio preparation
- Student leadership & professional conferences
- Community service projects
- Fun activities